Scrap silver query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrap silver query

I've seen people on eBay selling silver jewellery, listed as "scrap or wear". These can be anything from rings, bracelets, necklaces, earrings, etc. Presumably, the people who buy these lots as scrap are then melting it down to use to make their own jewellery. My question is this: would these jewellery crafters be likely to buy a "scrap" collection of silver jewellery if it consisted mainly of lightweight chains? Or would they usually go for chunkier pieces? The reason I ask is I have dozens of lightweight silver curb chains (and also lots of silver findings) which I plan to get rid of shortly and I'm wondering whether this kind of thing would appeal to the kinds of people who would usually buy scrap?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lori
    x
    My PInterest profile

Your easiest option might be to go to a bricks and mortar jeweller who will asssess and weigh the lot and give you a price then and there - no fees. no shipping , no feedback.
    even if you don't like the price after all the extras are deducted you'll have a sound working price.
    Unlikely that the people buying via eBay are melting down to make their own, unless they have rolling mills and draw plates etc - which would be a big operation, not just a small hobby maker
    They might have a use for cheap chains as they are though, for example.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. The difference between selling scrap silver to a jeweller and selling it on eBay can be as much as 20p less per gram. So despite fees etc, I would probably prefer to go the eBay (or Facebook groups) route. So are you saying it's quite a big thing for someone to be melting down scrap silver? I have no experience in this area, but i just assumed that the buyers on eBay who bought scrap silver were doing so in order to melt it down and reuse it. I've watched quite a few auctions just to see the kinds of prices that are obtained, and some of the stuff that is sold in these scrap lots REALLY is scrap (I mean it wouldn't be repairable or wearable).

Is there anyone on here who melts down scrap silver who could perhaps advise me here? For example, would the small flimsy items I am talking about selling as bulk scrap (I think there's around 200g in total) be less desirable for melting down? Or is silver just silver - regardless of whether it's a big chunky ring etc or several lightweight chains or findings?

Thanks in advance.

x
      My PInterest profile

Comment

The other issue is that much jewellery will be contaminated with solder and if you simply melt and reuse it it may drop under the .925 criterion for assay. So anyone recycling has to chuck some fine silver into the pot. In your chains for eg there may be solder and small springs in the clasp. all contaminants.
        You have to know what you are diong. I know some of what I would need to do and what I would need to have which is why I don't!
        Just melting it is very easy, it's what you do with the lump you get which is trickier.

Comment

Melting your own silver is very time consuming and, therefore not something a busy jeweller would do. Once it's been melted it has to be rolled down in a rolling mill which takes forever as you have to keep annealing it. It may be OK for a hobbyist who has plenty of time but a hobbyist is unlikely to have access to a rolling mill.
          Carole x
          www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

If you want to see whether your chains would be likely to sell on ebay (and get a rough idea for how much) you could do a search and then view the completed listings for scrap or wear silver jewellery. I've often done this for random things before deciding whether to list it on ebay or not.
            Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Thanks - I appreciate all the answers. x
              My PInterest profile

Comment

Working...
              X