Swarovski Beads from China ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swarovski Beads from China ?????

Hi - I've just purchased some beautiful 'Swarovski' beads off eBay - for a ridiculously low price of £1.20 for 70 size 8mm crystals and £2.70 for another 70 size 8mm crystals. This is too good to be true I feel. They're coming from China & there have been loads of customers for various beads all with positive feedback.
    Has anyone on this forum ever purchased some of these & if so what were they like?
    I've emailed the seller to confirm if they're genuine Swarovski which to be honest I doubt.

Of course they're not genuine Swarovski!! It's just a question of how good a fake they are and whether you're happy to use counterfeit beads in your own work.

Lots of the Chinese sellers even add fake holograms to their packaging.

The one watchword is not to describe them as genuine Swarovski in any finished pieces you might make - call them crystal by all means, but don't use the brand name. Even if you're 100% certain of the source, they're one of the brands that are particularly hot on trademark protection and copyright, and require you to be an authorised reseller to use their name on anything you make.
    george
    www.mizgeorge.co.uk
    www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
    www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Originally posted by mizgeorge View Post
      Of course they're not genuine Swarovski!! It's just a question of how good a fake they are and whether you're happy to use counterfeit beads in your own work.

Lots of the Chinese sellers even add fake holograms to their packaging.

The one watchword is not to describe them as genuine Swarovski in any finished pieces you might make - call them crystal by all means, but don't use the brand name. Even if you're 100% certain of the source, they're one of the brands that are particularly hot on trademark protection and copyright, and require you to be an authorised reseller to use their name on anything you make.
      Wow I did not know that, thanks for the info! I've been using their beads and flatbacks on my customs and now jewellery too and had no idea about their trademark and copyright protection.
      My etsy store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AssassinKittyCustoms
      My DA Gallery: http://assassin-kitty.deviantart.com/gallery/
      My Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Assassinkittycustoms

Comment

There have been whole shops shut down for using their name. Using "Austrian crystal" as a descriptor is the simplest way round it.

If you want a long winded version, and are absolutely sure your components are genuine, here's the letter they send to those asking about using the name:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in CRYSTALLIZED™ - Swarovski Elements.

Please note that there are global branding rules as well as legal implications concerning the usage of Swarovski’s trademarks that we would like to summarize below:

1.The Swarovski brand name, trademark and swan logo stand for our own line of finished crystal collections, which are sold in our own Swarovski stores as well as through other retailers. These must not be used by our crystal components customers and we cannot allow anyone to incorporate these into any of their materials.

2.We have developed a new product brand concept around the CRYSTALLIZED™ - Swarovski Elements brand which allows our customers to communicate the high quality of the crystal used in their products, creating a link to the Swarovski brand name and its positive associations. In addition to that we are heavily investing in communication and press activities to increase awareness for the CRYSTALLIZED™ - Swarovski Elements brand at the end consumer level.

3.When incorporating our crystal elements in the products you make, you may use the below descriptive sentences. Please note that you may not highlight the Swarovski brand name or change dimensions and sizes, but just use it as a simple statement on your designs or communication materials.

Made with CRYSTALLIZED™ - Swarovski Elements
        This product has been made with CRYSTALLIZED™ - Swarovski Elements
        This design has been made with CRYSTALLIZED™ - Swarovski Elements

If you have any questions regarding the correct use, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you for your continued support,

Your Swarovski CRYSTALLIZED™ Team"
        george
        www.mizgeorge.co.uk
        www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
        www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Wow chinas Swarovski is way cheap. .
          Check out my page on various paracord projects you can make!

Comment

Originally posted by Markwell View Post
            Wow chinas Swarovski is way cheap. .
            As Mizgeorge has pointed out, they're cheap because they're fake
            Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
            Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
            www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

The title of this thread says it all, really.

'Swarovski beads from China'

It's a bit like saying 'Freshwater pearls from the Pacific Ocean' - an inherent contradiction.

Even referring to them as Austrian crystal would be clearly fraudulent, as they are Chinese, not Austrian - the only possible correct description would be Austrian-style crystal - and that is, if they are indeed cut, faceted and coated glass crystal, not mere acrylic.

Comment

Some of the Chinese crystals are very good - The Bead Shed had some fabulous ones a couple of months ago - but as with everything, you takes your choice. Swarovski really annoy me with all that CRYSTALLIZED™ - Swarovski Elements stuff every flippin time the beads are mentioned.

I once overheard a VERY posh lady at a bead fair, loftily telling her friend [who was quite rightly squeeing over some really gorgeous Swarovskis] 'Oh, I never use those Russian things, I only ever use genuine Schwartzkopfs'
                Heather
                Pretty Things Handmade Jewellery

Website - www.prettythingsjewellery.co.uk

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

New blog - www.prettythingsandwitterings.blogspot.com

Comment

It is a few years since I studied intellectual property law at univ but that letter seems to me to be a clever bit of legal smoke and mirrors because it talks about rules and legal implications without being specific on either
                  It is absurd to try to say that you cannot be specific about a brand, for example , if you are re-selling it, having been a bona fide buyer - otherwise how would anyone sell their second hand car?
                  A trademark prevents someone making something and pretending it is the actual real deal. I cannot think of any law which prevents an item's resale.
                  What shops have been closed down - where, and with what legal process?
                  If someone has some specific law or cases to cite to prove me wrong I'm happy to be brought up to date (it's been four years since I taught law)

Comment

Wow - thanks for all those comments .... I'm still waiting for my 'Austrian-style crystals' to arrive (which is an excellent description by the way) & will let you know what they're like.

I'm a complete beginner at making jewellery so am only using cheap items to practice/play with and hopefully make a few pretty bits for the grandchildren & friends etc., before I branch out into better things.

I know the real 100% Swarovski crystals are way expensive but absolutely beautiful.

Comment

A few years ago I was selling earrings on Ebay that I had made using genuine Swarovski and described them with the style in Swarovski's letter, and had them pulled when Swarovski complained to Ebay. Such is the power of company's like this that there was no conversation I could have with eBay about this, and strangely used the second hand car argument myself, but no it had to be pulled. I often wonder how it is that you can still buy such obvious copy's over international boundary's.
                      http://abbybeads.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/abby.beads.

http://abbybeads.blogspot.com/

My Ebay shop

Comment

I bought some of these a couple of years ago, they were very sparkly and exactly the same colour as the swaro's - you couldn't tell the difference side by side. I sold them in jewellery as 'crystal beads'. they were a good substitute for swaro's - and much cheaper as you have found - so ok to give a bit of sparkle. They will probably be the old style cut though as swari have changed to the new Xillion cut possibly to stop these being miss-sold.

Melanie

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty things View Post
                          I once overheard a VERY posh lady at a bead fair, loftily telling her friend [who was quite rightly squeeing over some really gorgeous Swarovskis] 'Oh, I never use those Russian things, I only ever use genuine Schwartzkopfs'
                          OMG LOL!

Another thing to consider is that Swarovskis are supposedly made in the Tirol mountains in Austria. Think of how much it would cost to send all those crystals to China, and then back to Europe again when you buy them...
                          http://thestitchandfold.etsy.com

Comment

Abbybeads, I find your account of such actions by eBay and Swarovski quite chilling. And also wonder what the legal basis is....
                            (I deal with pearls, and the frauds allowed by eBay are continuous and unchecked - even when reported nothing is done. )

Comment

Working...
                            X