Delft Clay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delft Clay?

I want to cast some pewter using delft clay and looking it up online I can only find it in 2kg packs at about £25 a shot. As the things I want to make are only button size for cabochons to put into bowls and on goblets do I really need this much? Do any of you jewelers whop use it know anywhere I can get it in a smaller quantity to practice with before I jump in and spend that much?

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

When my son started pewter casting he used cuttle bone which was really cheap from pet shops. We've also experimented with polymer clay moulds which work really well.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Cuttlefish involves carving though and all I want to do is make imprints of various things and cast into them. Beauty of the Delft clay is I can re-use it so make on off moulds instead of permanent ones. I'll check out the polymer clay though thanks BBD.

Pete
      "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
      Facebook

Website

Comment

cuttle bone is so soft, you can do impressions into it! for 30p it's worth a try.
        with the polymer clay cook after doing the impression and then when you've cast the design be ready with a bowl of cold water to plunge the mold into.

Comment

Does it take fairly intricate designs? I have a Celtic seal for wax seals and want to make some cabochons for goblets and bowls with it if possible. also looking to do it with vintage buttons. I kbnew cuttle fish was soft but not that soft LOL. may pop into a pet shop for some and try that see if it will take the detail.

Ta again xxx

Pete
          Facebook

Website

Comment

it is soft and will accept quite fine details. I pressed an amonite into some and it looked amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
              it is soft and will accept quite fine details. I pressed an amonite into some and it looked amazing.
              Hehe, any pictures?
              Check out my page on various paracord projects you can make!

Comment

There are somewhere on my blog. I've had a quick look and can't find them but will look again!

Comment

Working...
                X