Perfect loops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect loops

Can anyone give me some advice on how to make perfect loops?

I have recently been making earrings and when I loop the eyepin they are never uniform or they are either too small or too big. I also seem to bend the wire so they end up wonky I also want to start making charm bracelets too but I need to perfect my loop first

I have recently bought a new pair of round nose pliers which are quite dainty but they haven't helped yet!

Thank you in advance
    Debs

My website: www.debeadz.co.uk

My blog: www.debeadz.blogspot.com

Practice, practice, practice!

I now know that when I've bent my head pin into a right angle, the width of my finger is exactly the right length to cut it at to form a circle.

I wouldn't say they were perfect loops, but if people wanted perfect, they'd buy from Accessorize or Clares!
    Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Have a good route round on this site thy have great howtoos. http://www.wigjig.com/
      "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
      my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

The best tip I can give you is to mark on your RN pliers so that you know exactly where to wrap round.
        The Head pin or eye pin wire must stay in contact with the pliers.

The secret is to cut the wire leaving enough to make the loop, but not too much. Grasp the tip of the wire and roll it along the wire until you have made a circle. Take the pliers out of the circle and then put them back into the point where the circle and stem start. Twist back slightly so that the circle becomes central and balanced.
        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Thanks guys! I will have practice this week
          Debs

Comment

Originally posted by goldy1 View Post
            Have a good route round on this site thy have great howtoos. http://www.wigjig.com/
            Cool! I will have a good read through later. It's looks a great site
            Debs

Comment

This is a good video to show how to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yz4Y...eature=related
              "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
              my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Yep - I agree.... Practice. Unfortunately it's not until you have made you 50 billionth loop that you find you are actually pretty good at it.... ok, maybe a little bit of exaggeration there, but you get the point.

I make the loop then the right angle, if that makes any sense.

I also agree with whoever posted above, if people wanted perfect they would buy factory made mass produced rubbish.... my loops may not all be uniform but my jewellery looks a hell-of-a-lot classier than something from Claires
                www.beadlab.com

Comment

JBJB ir absolutly right practice is the key, i have had this problem myself years ago, now i wonder how could it be a problem, anyway there is a pair of pliers on the web which actually are specially designed for this purpose. Loops and spirals are made very very easely . There is free video how to use the product you can probably find it somewhere in the UK if not try Riogrande i bought it from there.They are called
                  Wire Loopers

Best regards from sunny Bulgaria
                  Magic in your life: www.velango.com
                  Fine jewellery : www.trinketsltd.com

Comment

Thanks for all your posts

I will definitely be practicing more once I get the time after the Christmas shopping, etc is done

Maybe I could add the pliers to my Christmas list I know my boyf hasn't started his shopping yet! He he
                    Debs

Comment

Originally posted by Debeadz View Post
                      I also seem to bend the wire so they end up wonky
                      It does help if you use thick pins too. I can recommend a really good seller on ebay. She sells the thickest headpins I have come across and it does make all the difference to your loops especially if what you're using now are qutie flimsy. I can only just bend these with my fingers.

She takes best offers on 1,000 SP 2 inch headpins.

You can't put seed beads or rocailles on them though, but they're fine for most other beads.

That might help

(can't believe I'm giving away details of my good suppliers ... it is Christmas I suppose!)
                      Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Thanks JBJB.

I think might problem does lie in flimisy headpins. I will atke a look at your supplier. thanks for the info
                        Debs

Comment

Hi Debeadz, I imagine this is too late to help as I've missed your Christmas list deadline but I sell Wolf Groovy Looping Pliers on my website lavidalerie.com .

I learnt with normal round nosed pliers and have made many many wrapped loops and you do get better and more regular. I tried these pliers myself being a big believer in not selling things I would not use myself and they take some getting used to but do give you an easy way of producing the same size loops time and time again. I have marked the handle on the round nose side on mine so I know which side has the round nose and which the flat nose with grooves which makes them easier to use.

I tried adding a photo here but I haven't made enough postings, if you would like to see a picture please add www infront of this

.lavidalerie.com/Tools/Images/WolfGroovyPliersSquare.jpg

Good luck with your loops.

Karen

lavidalerie.com - Gorgeous sterling silver charms & findings, Swarovski, earring pairs of semi-precious stones, Czech glass flower bead mixes and tools.
                          My Website - www.lavidalerie.com
                          FaceBook Page- www.lavidalerie.com/JewelleryMakingHolidaysandWorkshops.html
                          I'm new to blogging so please be gentle - www.lavidaleriesilverjewellery.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                          X