Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

supplies for hand stamping jewellery

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • supplies for hand stamping jewellery

    ordered a start up kit from etsy, got stung for import tax so dont really want to order from america again
    have found few odd stamps and pendant blanks in uk, but nothing much else for this type of jewellery making
    wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction? x
    blooms & bows - hand made boutique accessories for the tiniest princess to the trendiest mum!
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...23549057752787

  • #2
    Hi fleursmummy
    I'm looking for a good kit at the moment and have been looking around online for the last couple of weeks - thought I would search on here for any tips.
    I think I will go with the set I found online at http://www.londonjewellerysupplies.co.uk/ they look really good and simple to use and the font used is the nicest one I've seen so far, they have a selection of blanks on their site.
    There are also some on Ebay. And I have ordered a few from Palmers Metals - http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/

    I ordered a couple of things from Etsy last year and got stung for tax on one parcel, but it is due to the sender not putting a Customs Info sticker on the parcel. I emailed the sender who seemed to be mortified and was not aware of what was required. She offered me a good deal on my next order to make up for me having to pay tax.
    I have sent a couple of orders to America and put a Customs sticker on at the Post Office and have never had a problem.
    It may be worth you asking the sender but I'm not sure if it is too late.
    Hope this helps.
    Kate
    JewelleryByGauthier - Made from the Heart, for the Soul... - www.jewellerybygauthier.co.uk
    "I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number of carats in a diamond"
    Mae West

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MrsKG View Post
      Hi fleursmummy
      I ordered a couple of things from Etsy last year and got stung for tax on one parcel, but it is due to the sender not putting a Customs Info sticker on the parcel. I emailed the sender who seemed to be mortified and was not aware of what was required. She offered me a good deal on my next order to make up for me having to pay tax.
      I have sent a couple of orders to America and put a Customs sticker on at the Post Office and have never had a problem.
      It may be worth you asking the sender but I'm not sure if it is too late.
      Hope this helps.
      Kate

      You didn't get taxed because of there not being a customs sticker, but because our rules are very different to the US. They can import hundreds of dollars worth of goods a day, we are allowed no more than £15 in a single package. If the value of the goods is over £15, you not only have to pay the VAT (and in some cases duty) on the goods, but also on the postage, as well as the handling charge, which is a minimum of £8 and can go a lot higher than that with parcelforce or courier companies.

      As for stamping supplies here, CJ Beaders have a pretty good range http://www.cjbeaders.co.uk/maincategory/Metal_Stamping as do Alchemy and Ice http://www.alchemyandice.com/tools-a...umber_punches/ but all of them are budget stamps, and not as good quality as you can find in the US, but the market here is tiny by comparison, so it's not really surprising.
      george
      www.mizgeorge.co.uk
      www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
      www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi George

        I shall have to make it my duty to go and inform the post office clerk of the misinformation she gave me.
        JewelleryByGauthier - Made from the Heart, for the Soul... - www.jewellerybygauthier.co.uk
        "I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number of carats in a diamond"
        Mae West

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MrsKG View Post
          Hi George

          I shall have to make it my duty to go and inform the post office clerk of the misinformation she gave me.
          It does not matter if there is sticker or not its down to customs to decide. If they happen to pick your parcel for screening then you will get charged all the charges.
          Ordered a piece of equipment from China had to pay vat, duty, customs charge , admin and pay for the delay this all caused. Total charges £1110 on top of the £3K machine! £600 was storage charge while I waited for customs to clear!

          Comment


          • #6
            Mizgeorge - how rubbish are those stamps? They are about a quarter? the price of decent ones. Are they any good for repeated crisp stamping stuff...like up to 100 times?
            Actually they are so cheap I should buy one and see, shouldn't I?

            Comment


            • #7
              For quick stamping on soft metal, they're fine Annie. Not always very well balanced, and the stamping face is sometimes a bit wonky in terms of not being completely perpendicular to the shank, but as long as you've checked to get the alignment right on a bit of scrap they'll do the job. The alphas are not always very well lined up in terms of baseline, but as you say, they're a fraction of the price of really well made ones.
              george
              www.mizgeorge.co.uk
              www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
              www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mizgeorge View Post
                For quick stamping on soft metal, they're fine Annie. Not always very well balanced, and the stamping face is sometimes a bit wonky in terms of not being completely perpendicular to the shank, but as long as you've checked to get the alignment right on a bit of scrap they'll do the job. The alphas are not always very well lined up in terms of baseline, but as you say, they're a fraction of the price of really well made ones.
                Any recommendations for a really good set...?
                Sarah x
                Sarah x

                ~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

                ~ Facebook Page ~




                Comment


                • #9
                  Beaducation. Their originals, not the plastic cased ones
                  george
                  www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                  www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
                  www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thank you....they look fab!!! xx
                    Sarah x

                    ~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

                    ~ Facebook Page ~




                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I've got most of my supplies so far from Amazon UK or Ebay UK, with them coming from the UK, China & America. Hope this helps

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The US stamps are very good and the variety is much better... if you have friends or family over there who pop over to the UK from time to time it's worth asking them to pick up a stamp or two!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mizgeorge View Post
                          Beaducation. Their originals, not the plastic cased ones
                          Have just ordered a couple hundreds dollars worth of kit.....can't wait!! Thanks for the tip!! xx
                          Sarah x

                          ~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

                          ~ Facebook Page ~




                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I seem to find when I am importing goods some times I get charged other times I don't there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it
                            www.preciouslittleprints.co.uk
                            fingerprint jewellery, handprint and footprint

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              very interesting

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X