Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morenwyn
    replied
    Thank you both so much. I wish I'd thought to ask here before - duh!

xxx

Leave a comment:

• mizgeorge
    replied
    Silver dip (I usually use Goddards) does the job for this.

If these are bought in commercial components, be careful about polishing them aggressively, as they'll almost certainly have been silver plated. This is done (especially in the Far East) as a quick alternative to pickling and polishing as it just hides everything rather than needing to finish it properly. It's still a sterling piece, but if the plating wears, can end up looking a bit grubby.

Leave a comment:

• blackwillow
    replied
    Hiya......you can usually clean sterling silver with warm soapy water and drying it well with a soft cloth. Just use a mild detergent, or just a little bit of something that you have if you're not sure.

Leave a comment:

• Cleaning the white finish on "bright" silver components

Hi everyone

I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice. I sometimes use sterling silver components which have a "bright finish" rather than "antique". This seems to mean that there is some form of white accent where you would normally find the black on an antique piece. (I hope I'm explaining this clearly!) I have found that over time this can turn yellow and I wondered if it's possible to clean it up. I've tried putting in through my tumbler to no avail and even dunking it in pickle doesn't seem to do the job. I'd be most grateful for any suggestions to save me just filling my scrap pot with discarded bits and pieces.

Thank you so much
Working...
X