Polishing Tumbler for sterling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing Tumbler for sterling

I need to buy a tumbler but getting a bit confused with prices and what's available ranging from £50-£250 :\ Is it possible to get something for under £100 and if so any recommendations? for sterling silver. thanks oh and Happy New Year

Have a look at Cookson Gold they do everything you need to start tumbling. Ebay is another place to look as prices can be cheaper.
    Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

I have looked cooksons is £250 ish but then I found one on ebay for £85, so I don't know if both do the same job or not. any links to non cooksons ones would be great

Comment

This is what I got from ebay....and it works brilliantly. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/tumbler-fo...item2326435da0
        Altho I do need to get a replacement lid as it's split.
        Sarah x

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

I got mine from Manchester Minerals. http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/
          I suppose how much you spend might depend on how often you think you will use it.

Comment

I doubt it will be massively used, sterling is only part of what I sell so probably once a month making batches ready. Loody I just have that one saved in my ebay hehe, will look at Mancs metals as well thank you

Comment

very newbie question but does the steel shot not squish things like bead ends?

Comment

In my experience, the steel shot can certain get stuck in bead holes if they are large enough!

I took to putting a pieces of pipe cleaner into the bead holes just to stop them getting bits of shot stuck in them
                Emma
                www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
                www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
                www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Summerleft View Post
                  very newbie question but does the steel shot not squish things like bead ends?
                  I've not had any problems like that....(hope I'm not tempting fate here...) x
                  Sarah x

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

If you are not using it frequently remember to dry it between uses. I've never had a problem with shot getting stuck - at least so stuck it didn't ping out easily

Comment

ahh brilliant thanks everyone, pipe cleaners sounds a fab idea

Comment

For those of us who learned silver working before tumble polishers came along, they are right up there as a mechanical gift from the gods

Comment

Originally posted by Pearlescence View Post
                          For those of us who learned silver working before tumble polishers came along, they are right up there as a mechanical gift from the gods
                          Once you get over the noise of course
                          Sarah x

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

I'd recommend getting one with a rubber, rather than plastic barrel - partly because of the noise, but also for longer barrel life and ease of opening.

As you'll also need tumbling medium and shot, the best bet may well be a kit. It's more than £100, but still a bit cheaper than buying the various bits and pieces separately.

http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/shop/tumbling-kit.html

I can certainly recommend the Lortone - mine's on every day, and has been for several years now, without any problems at all.
                            george
                            www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                            www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
                            www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

The noise isn't a problem on my MM tumbler, a sort of sloshing is all
                              top tip - don't overdo the soap - comedy suds everywhere.
                              You'll need a fine sieve to find everything in the shot after tumbling too (and something to catch the water and shot in)

Comment

Working...
                              X