Ultrasonic Cleaners???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultrasonic Cleaners???

Hi. I had some time on my hands during the summer and decided to try to cut a couple of old coins (farthings) to make into pendants (something I'd seen done at a craft fair some while ago). A few people have seen them and asked if I could make them one. The problem I have is cleaning the old coins. I can obviously spend a lot of time cleaning by hand but if these coins become popular I will need to find an alternative method. I've researched the internet and found lots of conflicting reports about ultrasonic cleaners, so wondered if anyone on here can help. I silver and gold plate the coins if necessary and this also needs to have a perfectly clean surface.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Roy

I have cleaned coins by leaving them overnight in a glass of Coke. (only useful purpose for it as far as I can tell LOL) Unless they have changed the ingredients it should still work.

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Comment

I was going to recommend Coke.

The other really useful purpose of it is to rot ones teeth - if you take an extracted tooth and leave it in a glass of coke ((full fat - not diet) it will completely disintegrate within 48 hours:-)

Jane
      www.just-soaps.com
      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
      FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Hi Roy

The people at Gateros are great to deal with and will probably have what you want.

This is the stuff I use.... http://www.gaterosplating.co.uk/Alkaline-Cleaner.php

Don't forget to post your pictures.

Vik

Oakdale Studios Facebook
        Bob Tanner Facebook ~~Viktor von Forkenspoon Facebook ~~Shirt Creek Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
        bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

I had an ultrasonic cleaner. It was very good. I sold it in the end as I just don't use it enough. But they are useful little gadgets to have around
          Emma
          www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
          www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
          www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Ultrasonic cleaners will remove surface dirt but thats all. No oxidation ie tarnish will be removed unless you put a 'chemical' solution in. They are used in labs (combined with chemocals) to dissolve metals. I have various solutions to put in my ultrasonic cleaner. Alcohols are good at removing grease and dirt when used in an untrasonic cleaner.

Coke rots teet by both the low pH and by promoting bacterial growth with produce further acid (low pH). Tomato ketchup as has a low pH which cleans copper very well.

What metal are farthings made from?

Comment

Originally posted by Craftychez View Post
              What metal are farthings made from?
              http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/farth.html
              Oakdale Studios Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
              bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

BANG!

Cillit Bang. That works quite well and is quick. I've just tested it - dirt gone in under 30s. I also noted that a newer coin came out shiny, but an older coin came out without a shine, though it was clean.

HTH

Lenny
                ~~The old ways are the future~~

Comment

Putting the coins in vinegar also works as well as the coke idea.

Comment

Gold and Silver plating onto other surfaces (usually Nickel) requires a "special" kind of cleanness called the "water break test"

http://www.ctgclean.com/tech-blog/20...er-break-test/ so again I point you back to something like this, as it's tried and tested for plating..... http://www.gaterosplating.co.uk/Alkaline-Cleaner.php

Please be aware that I have no affiliation or gain from any profit sharing from Gateros, I just trust and use their products.

Vik

Oakdale Studios Facebook

Comment

a halfway house between manual and u/sonic - a brass brush on a dremel / similar does wonders for coins. I've used this on both 925 and .5 silver to good effect.

Comment

Oh heck! I've just looked at the link posted on farthings. The farthings could be made out of so many metals I'm at a loss as to what to suggest.

Comment

Whatever way you clean your coins if you then use 'Renaissance Wax' it keeps them clean and stops any corrosion.

Comment

Wow.... Thanks everyone for your input. I've tried a lot of your suggestions without obtaining the results I am looking for, perhaps I'm expecting too much. I do however agree that coke is only useful for cleaning. I don't need a polished finish but it would be good to remove most of the dirt and grime which is what I was hoping an ultrasonic cleaner would do. I was then going to use radial discs on my pendant drill to bring out the polished finish.
                            Thanks again for all your help.
                            Roy

Comment

ultrasonic cleaners are great for removing grease from handling the coins and polishing compounds i would try the coke or vinegar idea i used ultrasonics everyday in the jewellers i trained in and we always had to hand polish pieces before they went in. good luck sounds like a great idea
                              www.vovsjewellery.blogspot.ie
                              Handmade JewelleryTutorials

Comment

Working...
                              X