Choosing a name!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a name!

Okay, i know its a really random question but here goes.

I'd like to sell my jewellery one day and i keep mulling over ideas for a "name" but the things i come up with don't seem to be very original as if i google them someone seems to have got there already!

So i was curious about how you all came up with the name you use?

Hope this isnt a daft question!
    Emma

Originally posted by Emmielou78 View Post
    Okay, i know its a really random question but here goes.

I'd like to sell my jewellery one day and i keep mulling over ideas for a "name" but the things i come up with don't seem to be very original as if i google them someone seems to have got there already!

So i was curious about how you all came up with the name you use?

Hope this isnt a daft question!
    Hi Emma

It's not such a daft idea, we've had quite a few of these and they can be quite good fun.

You'll have to give us more idea of what you do and what the name relates to though.

Vik

Oakdale Studios Facebook
    Bob Tanner Facebook ~~Viktor von Forkenspoon Facebook ~~Shirt Creek Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
    bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

Hi,

For my first business i took my last name and a description of what i sell and voila, i wanted to work from a website and so i had to make sure first that the URL was available in both .co.uk and .com domains (despite losing my .com in error) even if you don't wish to work from a site now, always good to own the domains anyway.

Its hard work finding the right name and it needs to be easy to remember, one of my business names is very close to another business name but i wanted that name, bit of a risk, lots of business names are taken and never used so sometimes good if you are after a domain to keep on checking if the name you like isn't already an online business.

If you do go for a domain then avoid dashes, numbers etc.

Good luck with finding the right name,

Comment

For my business name, I wanted to add the word 'charm' into it. It's a nice word with a few meanings and it's also what I sell.

I then went on a domain selling website and started making some website names up to see if they are available to buy. If it's not available to buy they give you some suggestions and Charmed Soul was one of them! I liked it so I bought the domain name of it and everyone comments on it being a lovely name!
        Bespoke handcrafted bracelets by Charmed Soul

www.charmedsoul.co.uk
        www.facebook.com/charmedsouluk (keep checking for regular offers and competitions!)

Comment

I have done this twice and the one thing I wanted was something short. Pjkardz was thought of by my daughter - I made cards & my initials are pj. Having diversified & making more jewellery than cards the time came to choose something a lttle less cardy & so I am now Joias Designs. I googled ideas for a jewellery designer/seller name & 1 idea was to try translations of jewellery in different languages. I liked joia/joias & gave family & friends different variations to see what the majority voted for. A few customers know that joias means jewellery in portuguese but most just comment on it being a pretty company name.
          JOIAS DESIGNS

Comment

Your profile doesn't show what you do - (or is it tiaras). Your name should spring from who you are - ELated (the jeweller), emmielou'stiaras, weddingcrowns. Find the things that best identify you and your work and try different combinations. Use hyphens to separate the words. 123-reg.co.uk will also make suggestions for you. Keep looking..you might just land lucky.

Comment

I asked someone I trust, it was the first thing he said and it was already in my possible list without me even mentioning what was in my list to him, so it felt like it was meant to be, every now and then I regret not being more original or funky but, on the whole it feels right
              Dainty Rocks Jewellery ~ www.daintyrocks.etsy.com ~ www.daintyrocks.co.uk ~ @DaintyRocks

Comment

Something that gave me more confidence in brainstorming names for a crafting business was by looking at shop names on Etsy! Of course I didn't copy anyone, but when you look at the different names and see that the name can have very little to do with success, it's easier to find something you like instead of trying to be clever or unique. Obviously, your official craft business will have to have a unique name for legal reasons, but it's common to have a legal name and a trading name. e.g. 'Jean Smith Sparkle Jewels Jewellery Company, trading as Sparkle Jewels'

I agree with finding a domain name that matches, at least as closely as you can. But again, there are people that have found success without having a precise match in domain/business name.

The important part is that you find a name that you're happy to see every day, speak every day, write down hundreds of times and constantly see associated with your name and the products you're selling. Good luck!

Comment

thank you for the responses. Its given me lots to think about.
                  I'm a fair way from being ready to sell but was intrigued about how other people had come up with ideas.
                  I'm mainly doing fairly basic beaded jewellery at the mo buy i'd like to have a go at wire work, tiara making etc to see where my real talent lies.
                  I've made a couple of bits as xmas presents that im really proud off, (i only started in oct!) and will post pics for comments / criticism when i can!
                  Emma

Comment

Hello. I had the same problem when I first started in October. I knew I wanted a 'happy' sounding name and it had to have a flower link too. I searched online for a free company name generator where you have to type a word and then it generates suggestions. Some of them were really random, others made me chuckle, but some offered single words which I quite liked. I ended up writing a list of my favourite and then looked online to check if any of these were already in use by big companies and also not selling similar handmade items. Hope the helps.
                    I love making felt flowers. Take a look at my handcrafted makes on Facebook. Pop by and say hello!!

https://en-gb.facebook.com/SunnybloomsFelt

Comment

It took me weeks to come up with my name. Like others had said the domain name had to be available and it had to not be similar to another one. E.g. if you had ajeweller.co.uk, it's likely that often people will type in ajewellery.co.uk and if thats an amazing site, then you may lose customers. Or the same goes for .com and .co.uk. It had to really easy to say and spell-no z's or s's as these are easily confused. There's nothing worse than trying to spell out a web adress to someone, or something too long winded for that matter with neither dashes or dots. It had to explain what I do but at the same time allow scope for all the other crafts I may one day like to do I just ended up covering about 4 sheets of A4 paper in words, combining them, mixing them, and eventually two words came together. Don't rush into it and make sure you do it right - you don't want to have to change it at a later date!
                      The one I chose ticked most of the boxes, but it's not perfect!
                      Last edited by CraftRocks; 19-12-2012, 08:30 PM.
                      www.mydandelionmind.wordpress.com
                      Thoughts are a bit like weeds - they keep growing all over the place and you cant get rid of them easily.

Comment

Originally posted by CraftRocks View Post
                        It took me weeks to come up with my name. I just ended up covering about 4 sheets of A4 paper in words, combining them, mixing them, and eventually two words came together. Don't rush into it and make sure you do it right - you don't want to have to change it at a later date!
                        SNAP

When I got it down to ten names I emailed it out to friends and family for their vote and we came up with Oakdale Studios.

No point in rushing as once you get your brand recognised it's pointless changing it as you'll be starting out all over again.

It's also the same with the logo and choice of font, Kellogg hasn't changed much over the years http://www.kellogghistory.com/gallery.html

Oakdale Studios Facebook
                        Bob Tanner Facebook ~~Viktor von Forkenspoon Facebook ~~Shirt Creek Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
                        bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

I based the name of my business on a concept. I sell lots of small items that when combined make something really fantastic, while making jewellery, just like mosaic, small components must be assembled to see the big picture. Hence the name 'Mosaic'! I also liked the name 'all the small things', but decided on mosaic as it was punchier!
                          http://mosaic-creativity.co.uk
                          News: http://www.mosaic-creativity.co.uk/news/
                          Email: [email protected]

Beads. Jewellery >>> Creativity

Comment

I'm not an expert in these things and this might not be any help whatsoever, I just think that sometimes it's important NOT to get too bogged down with a name - I think it's more about making sure whatever you come up with it can remain consistent across all platforms (domain name, social networking, stationary etc) and its simple and easy to say/remember.

Not sure if you're aiming for World domination but if so, remember that some of the biggest and most reputable companies have names completely unrelated to their product that work well (I.e Starbucks), and some just have absolutely rubbish names and they're still massive (I.e Tescos?)...so, what's in a name eh? *wondering*...

...Apologies for not being more helpful!

Comment

For me, my crafts business name was a tribute to my love of tattoos and alternative art, but the main reason was down to the similarity I found between the way that pyrography marks the surface of the wood and the tattoo artist's needle marking a person's skin... I liked the feel that the comparison created. There's something very special about choosing a tattoo to adorn yourself with, and I always try to make sure that I select designs which complement the inherent qualities and form of the wooden item in much the same way.

Does that make sense?

Si
                              Wood Tattoos
                              Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                              Facebook
                              Flickr
                              Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X