Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jump ring advice, help needed!

Hi all,

So i've been making jewellery for a couple of months now and have made a load of stuff for xmas pressies but i wanted some advice about jump rings.

I'm finding that occasionally my jump rings will open enough for things to come apart and wondered about a) the cause of this and b) how to fix it?

I'd like to (eventually) sell my stuff but at the moment im having fun while learning different techniques and finding my own style but can see this becoming an issue as i dont want to see things that will keep coming apart,

Thanks in advance

Emma.
    Emma

jump rings must always be opened side to side, not just pulled open. closing them you need to sort of sway the end back and forth a few times to make it springy and then allow the end to spring against the other end so it sits very tightly.

Comment

Hiya, it also can depend on the quality of your jump rings - if they are too light-weight for what you are stringing/making then this will cause them to come apart too.

Deb
      Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

Go down/up a gauge too, I usually go for 20ga or sometimes 19ga on jump rings
        Dainty Rocks Jewellery ~ www.daintyrocks.etsy.com ~ www.daintyrocks.co.uk ~ @DaintyRocks

Comment

To add, not so thick on all though, you need one at 20+ for it to break in the strain should said piece get caught in something
          Dainty Rocks Jewellery ~ www.daintyrocks.etsy.com ~ www.daintyrocks.co.uk ~ @DaintyRocks

Comment

Since it is 'memory' causing the wire to spring back then use 'memory' to close the gap. When forming the jump ring (for e.g. by cutting a coil) use a small mandrel e.g. round pliers or small drill bit to keep the shape, then over-tighten the wires adjacent to one another. Then off the mandrel, 'correct' the wires' skew so that the ends align. Chances are the memory will pull them too close together at first so they will automatically pass each other (adjacent). Then pull them gently apart allowing them to spring back together to meet whilst twisting to the centre to keep the ends aligned.

Comment

thanks guys. think it may be a combination of technique and quality, Just starting out so sticking to cheaper products at the mo.
              Emma

Comment

You should help from jewellery experts,

Comment

Working...
                X