Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with torch for soldering

Hi

I would like to get a decent torch for soldering silver but I'm not sure which one to get. I've got a little refillable butane one which is OK for jump rings but it's not really up to anything bigger. I bought a slightly larger one which attaches to a small butane bottle - it's nice and hot but the flame is a bit too big.

If there's anyone here who solders, which torch would you recommend.

Thanks
    www.earthandfirebeads.co.uk
    Handmade lampwork beads

Hi Beadhead

I solder a lot, and silver isnt like gold it requres lots of concentrated heat, butan ( propane ) torches are really not good for this, you MUST have oxigen butane torch. Try Rio Grande they have lots of small handy ones and they do great job.
    Just to brag about few days ago bought a new PUK 3 professional welder by Lampert, it isnt instead of torch , but it allowes you to do things you could not imagine.

Beast regards from sunny Bulgaria
    Magic in your life: www.velango.com
    Fine jewellery : www.trinketsltd.com

Comment

Hi

I'm interested momoab what can you do with this welder, because I was looking at a carbon soldering unit which delivers a intense heat in a small area which is great for delicate soldering jobs, in the end though I settled with a hydrogen soldering unit (hasn't arrived yet)

So what can you do with the welder unit and how much did it cost you?

Best Regards

Comment

Hi Gold Fusion

We are still learning how to use it, but what we have done so far is geat. It uses tungston electrodes and weldes without emmiting much heat it practically can weld on top of pearls, emalia and gemstones. It is perfect for assambling hollow items,jump rings, model making and preparation for solderings items which consists of many elements. It can weld all metals and alloys without pure copper and aluminium. You can for instance do steel to gold ot titanium to platinum.... It does the job of a laser welder, but for 10 % of the price. Hydrogen welders are great and together with PUK you really can do things you thought are not possible.
        It is like we got new toy in our workshop
        The price is about 3000 euro including Mezzo microscope.
        Except argon 5 and this inexpensive electrodes it has no consumables.
        Since we got it we speeded up the production dramatically. No oxidation no annealing .....

Beast regards from sunny Bulgaria
        Magic in your life: www.velango.com
        Fine jewellery : www.trinketsltd.com

Comment

Sounds Amazing!

Yeah love getting a new piece of equipment in the workshop and playing around with it!

Really sounds like a very helpful tool, I always had problems doing those very delicate soldering jobs, seems like the PUK can really help. I will have to start saving up and have a look around for one.

Thanks for reply!

All the best

Comment

Working...
          X