Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second hand beads dilemna

Hi there

I have some beads that I've bought from second hand shops which would mix well with some new beads I bought.

I'm not sure what to say in the description. Most of the material I use is new but with some second hand beads as well which is not new, so I'm not sure it's right to sell them as new. But if I say they are second hand people might expect to pay a lot less for an item.

Thanks for any suggestions.

i tend to use the term vintage as it's become quite mainstream and acceptable (although there are those that would only use vintage to describe 1950's and older)
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Beat me to it! I was going to say vintage. Sounds good doesn't it?
      Pre loved is a bit twee.
      Old is boring.
      Antique is good but has to be 100 years old doesn't it?
      Do you have to say anything? Can't your customers love the look without knowing the age of your beads?
      No one says my jewellery is made with new beads.......
      I'd loose the agism and highlight the materials and/or shapes.......unless they are plastic and round - I can't think how to make that sound exciting.....

Comment

Thank you both for some perspective. I have my first big craft fair coming up I'm probably over worrying. I don't know their age but should only be just a few items with 80% cleaned up second hand materials. If I feel uncomfortable I could always do a "seconds" section and discount them slightly.

Thank you again.

Comment

Why don't you display them prettily at your fair and listen to what people are saying. I bet they won't be able to spot which are the old beads, or they'll say something like "Oh, these are unusual. Where did you get them?" and You can answer, "Yes weren't they a wonderful find. Would you like to try it on".
          Smile and change the subject or engage in a deep and meaningful conversation on how sad it is that so much stuff gets trashed and lost and how you are saving our heritage.
          Ooo that's a good word. Heritage beads!

Comment

Hi, you could always call them upcycled beads. which means taking something that's now usless and making something better from it!

Good luck with the craft fair.
            Carrie

Comment

Awww thank you - heritage beading you could be onto something with that. Yeah think you guys are right I'm just been picky.

Comment

You need to get out of the mindset that they are "second hand" beads. You selected them, chose then and have used them because they were the right beads. Don't be down about them. be positive!
                full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
                  You need to get out of the mindset that they are "second hand" beads. You selected them, chose then and have used them because they were the right beads. Don't be down about them. be positive!
                  Absolutely this ^^^ - most (but not all) of my designs are made from salvaged, upcycled and vintage items whether that be fabrics, pieces of lace, beads, or other jewellery items, cigar boxes etc. I mix them up with wire connections I make myself, some new bits if the look fits and I describe my stuff as "Vintage and Contemporary Treasure".

If you have chosen something in a charity shop because you think it's beautiful then it's beautiful. That's all that other people need to know.
                  Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

I also think it's pretty classy also if you just mention that you are upcycling and use some worthy recycled item in your designs! make an ad out of it! it's pretty environmental! focus on that angle!
                    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Jewelfantasy

Comment

Thank you all, I've made a start anyway and reworked the beads in with some semi-precious stones they look fine (in my humble opinion). Bead recycling, that's another idea.

Have a good rest of the day!

Comment

Working...
                      X