How do you all start a new design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you all start a new design?

As a newbie to jewellery making i was wondering how you all go about designing a new piece?
    For example, do you plan out a rough idea on paper and then find suitable beads to create it, just play around till something you like appears or base it on beads you have found?
    I'm going to a class in a couple of weeks and will buy my equipment after
    that but I've got lots of ideas in my head that I'm trying to put on paper so I can give them a try once I know what I'm doing!
    Is this a good idea?
    All hints and tips to get me started greatfully received!
    Thanks
    Emma

Originally posted by Emmielou78 View Post
    As a newbie to jewellery making i was wondering how you all go about designing a new piece?
    For example, do you plan out a rough idea on paper and then find suitable beads to create it, just play around till something you like appears or base it on beads you have found?
    I'm going to a class in a couple of weeks and will buy my equipment after
    that but I've got lots of ideas in my head that I'm trying to put on paper so I can give them a try once I know what I'm doing!
    Is this a good idea? All hints and tips to get me started greatfully received!
    Thanks
    This is tricky as I think everyone works differently,the only time I ever put anything down on paper it was a failure and a necklace became a bracelet! Personally all my plans are in my head, the materials give me the idea. I use found objects, particularly sea glass and ceramics, and, although the basic way of working came from a book, each one has it's own quirks and uniqueness. If putting ideas down on paper works for you then it's a good idea. I certainly think having some colour ideas, even if it's just a 'mood board' of cuttings, colour combinations that you like from mags etc, is a good idea. I usually get all the beads in appropriate colours out on the work surface and even if I don't use them all it helps to get the piece right. My way of working is a bit slow as I spend a lot of time considering and pondering what might happen next, but sometimes I have a very clear image of the finished piece so I just make it. Don't know if that's at all helpful. Have fun that's the most important thing and don't stress about it.
    http://www.facebook.com/Vintage.Beadery
    http://twitter.com/Vintagebeader
    http://www.vintagebeadery.co.uk
    http://www.giftwrappedandgorgeous.co.uk/supplier_1212-products.htm

Comment

Thanks! I was curious really! Im compleatly new to this. Im doing my bigginners class before i buy my first lot of equipment etc but ive got some ideas in my head and want to make sure that when i know enough to attempt them i can remember them!
      Emma

Comment

I think everyone works in a slightly different way. I started jewellery making at home with no lesson so basically spent hours just bending and shaping copper, experimenting at ways of linking sections and incorporating beads, which means I have a fairly open creative process which changes and evolves as I make things.

What I have found over the last couple of months is I doodle lots and have started to collect all the doodles and sometimes look through them for ideas and shapes (I really need to get them in a scrap book).

Before starting I usually have a simple concept in my mind that takes its own shape when I start to actually craft the jewellery. The concept can come from style or image I want to experiment with or from a bead, stone or shape I want to use in the piece. I do sometimes try out the basis idea with copper so I don’t end up messing up and wasting the materials I want to work with

I hope the above ramble makes some coherent sense.
        www.silvercrescent.co.uk

Comment

At this stage im open to all ideas!
          Thanks.
          Emma

Comment

Although I do not do jewellery, I tend to sketch the finished item them work backwards breaking down the components, drafting the pattern pieces as I go.

Comment

If I get stuck I usually hunt about for more materials/ beads. I find they can inspire me. I tried using the ocean as inspiration (sorry don't want to sound pretentious) but ended up with a design that looks like fruit on a vine, not related, but I'm very happy with the end idea.

Comment

I agree with every ones saying, look at what you have, beads, wires, clasps, search a word or a way and you would find a lot of new stuff! then every thing can be the source of your inspiration, a tree branch, a pair of cherry, leaves, even sometimes the house stuff! the movies, your imagination, seasonal fashion colors and designs! they can all make new designs in your head, then you can sketch them, and try to solve the design and make it into parts you have or you can get! knowing the jewelry making methods would really help and there are a lot of tutorials you can search for! I suggest to begin searching for handmade jewelry just to learn the methods they have used!
                http://www.etsy.com/shop/Jewelfantasy

Comment

Working...
                X