Fimo clay ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fimo clay ?

Hi I am a young jewllery and have heard lots about fimo clay etc and I currently do a lot of basic wire work and beading. And I was wondering is it worth starting some clay work it looks great fun and I am starting to sell at fairs would it widen my audience?
    Or is it even worth it what do you think please be honest.
    Is it expensive ???
    Also I would be very greatful if you coUld suggest the basic tools etc I would need

Many thanks
    G x
    Last edited by Georgina19; 27-08-2012, 11:20 PM.

I´m actually interested in knowing about it too, so I´ll keep an eye on what people say and I´ll let you know

Comment

I bought some jewelry about two years ago made of fimo clay, the colors and combinations are wide and lovely! and I guess they are not expensive, you can buy them online and there are special kits of jewelry making which contains all you need, have a look at fimo(dot)com! it gives you a lot of idea!
      http://www.etsy.com/shop/Jewelfantasy

Comment

Fimo isn't very expensive and the colours are inter-mixable so you can get away with the primary colours and black and white to start with if you just want to see if it suits you. Tools wise- it depends what you want to make, but initially you can start off with a cocktail stick or a darning needle for making holes in your beads, when you're ready to commit you can get all sorts of bead rollers, fimo cutting blades etc. Have a look at EJR Beads, Emma is a member of this forum and is very knowledgeable about all things polymer clay- especially jewellery and bead making. She can no doubt give you some useful advice on starting out if you do decide you'd like to give it a try.
        I don't really know whether it will increase your market or not, but it will mean you can make your own unique designs, which I always think makes you more marketable than using beads that anyone can buy.
        Mythillogical- Myths & Fabrications: Creating all manner of three-dimensional mixed media oddities
        etsy facebook blog tumblr

Comment

We have lots of customers who make incredible beads and jewellery from Polymer Clay, it is an excellent medium for that and very flexible. There is no end to colour mixing you can do and the tools you need to begin are minimal, just a good pair of hands! You can add new tools when you have experimented and see what you need to perfect your work, there is a tool for just about anything. We are Polymer Clay spe******t and supply Fimo, Sculpey and Premo in large and small blocks plus all tools, moulds etc etc. Free delivery over £50 Good Luck and have fun.
          Last edited by Craft Cellar; 30-08-2012, 03:06 PM.
          craftcellar.co.uk
          facebook.com/craftcellar
          twitter.com/craftcellar

Comment

Originally posted by Georgina19 View Post
            Hi I am a young jewllery and have heard lots about fimo clay etc and I currently do a lot of basic wire work and beading. And I was wondering is it worth starting some clay work it looks great fun and I am starting to sell at fairs would it widen my audience?
            Or is it even worth it what do you think please be honest.
            Is it expensive ???
            Also I would be very greatful if you coUld suggest the basic tools etc I would need

Many thanks
            G x
            Polymer clay is a great medium for making your own beads - which in itself is a great way to make your jewellery more unique and give you an edge over the competition at fairs.

It's really inexpensive to start up - you just need a few blocks of clay, your hands and your kitchen oven. But of course if you want you could also just get a starter kit. We do a beadmaker's starter kit at EJR Beads that has everything you need to get going in polymer clay beadmaking. Even if you don't want the kit, it gives you a good idea of some of the basic tools you need to get going - you may well have many of them already as so many tools we use, we borrow from other crafts or from the kitchen!

Really though, you can start out with polymer clay for less than the cost of a pizza on a friday night - so its always worth trying out if you are interested, you might really enjoy it. I cannot think of many other mediums where you start out for such little outlay.

Give it a go, I am sure you will have a blast!
            Emma
            www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
            www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
            www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Hi there - I work with fimo clay and use it mainly for making bespoke beads. I've not been using it for long so the beads I make are quite simple but you can make up your own colours, sizes, textures etc.

Comment

Working...
              X