wanting to make a necklace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanting to make a necklace

Ok as some of u no I am quite new to making jewellery...however, I am wanting to make my first necklace!! Where on earth do U start!!??
    I have thread already, a few different clasps, jump rings, millions and millions of different beads, I just have no idea where to start and how to secure clasps to the thread so that they r secure with no need to worry about them coming undone??
    This may sound silly to some of you, but it is something I really want to get into properly..
    Please no..."go reada book" or "google it" comments....I got those on another forum I was on and its the reason I left...I want info from ppl who actually make them, straight from the horses mouth so to speak ..what works for u?? xx

Welcome to the forum, hopefully someone here will be able to help.

I suppose it all depends on what type of thread and beads you have. I started jewelry making with fishing line and old clasps off broken bits of jewelry. All you need to do is tie your fishing wire to the clasp using a very secure knot (I don't know the special names for the knots, but after tying the knot, pull on it to make sure it doesn't come undone).

String your beads on, tie it to the other clasp and hey presto, a string of beads.... Things I learnt the hard way: glass beads may cut into your fishing line, causing your beads to scatter across the dance-floor (assuming you are dancing at that inopportune moment).

try the library for bead books, the craft section in my library consists of about 7 books, however, the craft section in the library in my old town was hooge, I couldn't possibly get through all the books.

Lastly, go to your local bead shop (don't have one of those either now, but you may) and ask for advice, they are generally quite helpful people if you show a bit of interest

How did everyone else work out how to bead?
    www.beadlab.com

Comment

Hi Nat

I secure my thread with crimp beads, you bascially squash them flat with pliers so the thread does not move.

I normally lay my beads out on a bead mat or something that the beads won't roll off with the design before threading so you can see what it looks like and if you have enough beads.

Then secure on side of the clasp with the thread looped through it and secured with the crimp then start theading your beads on and secure in the same way as you did at the beginning.

Does that make sense? I'm not very good at explaining things

Hope that helps
      Debs

My website: www.debeadz.co.uk

My blog: www.debeadz.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Debeadz View Post
        Hi Nat

I secure my thread with crimp beads, you bascially squash them flat with pliers so the thread does not move.

I normally lay my beads out on a bead mat or something that the beads won't roll off with the design before threading so you can see what it looks like and if you have enough beads.

Then secure on side of the clasp with the thread looped through it and secured with the crimp then start theading your beads on and secure in the same way as you did at the beginning.

Does that make sense? I'm not very good at explaining things

Hope that helps
        I had a feeling it was something to do with these crimp beads...what do they look like? I need a special machine to clamp them as well dont I?? xx

Comment

Crimps are very small beads made out of some sort of soft metal (not sure what?!). you just need some flat nose pliers, they're very easy to squash.

Sue's crafts in Cheltenham sell them. If you can't find them just ask for them, they're very helpful in there
          Debs

Comment

Aaaah I no what u mean!! LOL....I have some of those....I got them with a necklace kit and just thought they were normal beads haha

I also have some flat nose pliers...actually mine r 3 in 1 pliers and cut, bend and flatten which is handy LOL xx

Do U end up with a little bit of thread sticking out the crimp tho? I would have thought it a little hard to get it spot on?

Thanx so much!!!

Comment

I thread the excess thread through a few of the beads and then trim it, that way you don't get anything sticking out
              Debs

Comment

when i mad emy first necklace quite recently i used crimps on the toggle clasp style. I made a floater style. I only used a few beads, lpaced them on the thread. put crimps either side. theres space between the beads. If you want go cover the crimps you can get covers. Have a practice with them first tho' they are really fiddly and took me agews to get right.

hth
                elle

Comment

I bought a book from jilly beads which I found very useful for jewellery making shows you what equipment to use.

the basics of bead stringing by Debbie Kanan cost about £5.50

Comment

The way I generally learn things is to buy a couple of kits. That way, you get good instructions, all the stuff you need to complete whatever it is, and at the end you have learned how to do it and what all the different bits are called. I know it doesn;t work for everyone, but it's my second best way of learning - first best is to find a course but sometimes that is expensive.
                    Mary
                    www.somata.co.uk
                    www.stitchnglass.co.uk
                    www.gemstoneboutique.co.uk
                    www.somata-pmc.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by clair View Post
                      I bought a book from jilly beads which I found very useful for jewellery making shows you what equipment to use.

the basics of bead stringing by Debbie Kanan cost about £5.50
                      I can definitely recommend the Basics of bead stringing, it's a best seller!

You can indeed finish a necklace using crimps, my preferred technique too. Some people like using calottes (the spelling varies, mind). What you do is tie a knot and hide it inside the calotte then close the calotte, it has two parts which you squash together gently. There is a loop to attach the calotte to a clasp or a jump ring.

Coming back to crimping, you can squash them flat with flat nose pliers. If you want a better look, you can get a pair of crimping pliers which, in 2 or 3 steps will round the crimp to make it look like a little bead. It takes some practice but it looks good. A little addition in beading came about after the crimps, called crimp cover. They are open bead which you place over the crimp to hide them.
                      Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Working...
                      X