Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools

Hello

Can someone recommend me a set of tools, I want flat nose, round nose and cutters, I am now on my third set in 5 years and now thinking that what I am spending is not enough money? So they are going on my Christmas List, again, but I want to get ones that last me a bit longer

Usual problems are the round nose pliers twist as I am making hooks; should they do this?
    My cutters blunt very easily and I rarely use hard wire; is this normal?
    and the rubber on the handles seem to slide off or wear/tear

Maybe it's the way I use them or maybe I just need a decent set, last 3 sets have cost me less than £10 for whole set
    I once was told that spending lots of money on tools doesn't make much difference to how long they last...
    Dainty Rocks Jewellery ~ www.daintyrocks.etsy.com ~ www.daintyrocks.co.uk ~ @DaintyRocks

''last 3 sets have cost me less than £10 for whole set
    I once was told that spending lots of money on tools doesn't make much difference to how long they last... ''

Think you have answered your own question, if you have had all those problems on three sets obviously price is a factor. These basic cheap tools are just what they say basic sets for beginners to try and see if you like the craft before you fork out for some quality tools.

I'm a fan of Wubbers who do a very good range for a sensible price for someone who is using them all the time, if you don't want to run to something like Lindstrom.
    http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/shop/t...-pliers-1.html

There are other less expensive ones that are still good like Ergo http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/shop/t...ose-plier.html but the more you pay the better quality you get especially the joints which are the first things to go as you have found so the jaws don't line up and twist.

There are obviously other manufacturers and suppliers, I am just giving you my supplier and opinion based on the years of trouble free use I have had from my pliers etc.

HTH Mo.XX
    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    www.bodrighy.co.uk
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Beadsmith range of tools, good value price wise, I can't remember exactly how much, but I think around £6-£7 per pair of pliers. I've had mine now for 4 years & the round nose pliers are only just beginning to twist - and I've seriously abused them on memory wire bracelets too!
      Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
      Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
      www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

I would Recommend to anyone to look at Axminster Tool, they only stock the highest quality tools that do last a lifetime and most of the hand tools come with a lifetime guarantee
        Web Site: http://www.woodsncrafts.co.uk
        Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Woods-...5536190?ref=ts
        Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/woodsncrafts

Comment

Originally posted by MornieG Jewellery View Post
          ''last 3 sets have cost me less than £10 for whole set
          I once was told that spending lots of money on tools doesn't make much difference to how long they last... ''

Think you have answered your own question, if you have had all those problems on three sets obviously price is a factor. These basic cheap tools are just what they say basic sets for beginners to try and see if you like the craft before you fork out for some quality tools.

HTH Mo.XX
          This was the thing that got me, she was saying don't buy off the net, make sure you look and feel them first, if they feel comfy, buy them, this was a wirework teacher who had claimed to buy the best and then they lasted 5 minutes

Thanks everyone will check out the links and sent my list off to Santa
          Dainty Rocks Jewellery ~ www.daintyrocks.etsy.com ~ www.daintyrocks.co.uk ~ @DaintyRocks

Comment

I'm a fan of Wubbers to, not too expensive. I find all their pliers really comfortable to use, even after 6 hours of chain mail :-), but on the otherhand my partner finds them too small to be comfortable!
            Too many beads not enough time!!

www.tamarjewelleryandbeads.co.uk

Comment

They must be the baby wubbers then - the full size ones are mahoosive, and very uncomfortable to use and far too heavily sprung.

For basic shapes, I'd recommend the ultra ergos from Eurotool (sold by Palmers). They're half the price of wubbers, and have identical shaping to the Lindstrom range. Most of my maille students, as well as the wirework ones, end up getting these and all seem to have been very happy with them. I actually think the quality control on the Eurotool range is better than Wubbers these days - though all are made in India or Pakistan these days.

I'd add a pair of chain nose (sometimes called needlenose) to your kit for a bit more versatility.

As for cutters, if you don't want to spend at least £60 on a pair of Lindstrom ultraflush cutters, the best bet would probably be some Xuron cutters - also available at Palmers.
              george
              www.mizgeorge.co.uk
              www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
              www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

I bought my set of mini pliers 40 years ago from Walshes (they do tools for jewellers) and they are still going strong. I use them almost every day. I've managed to get through several wire cutters but finally found my favourite. It came from B&Q and cost £30. It cuts anything and hasn't got blunt or nicked. I've had that one for....um 10?...years.

Comment

Yeah, I think you are not the first to say that (B&Q)

Comment

Originally posted by freshfruitsalad View Post
                    This was the thing that got me, she was saying don't buy off the net, make sure you look and feel them first, if they feel comfy, buy them, this was a wirework teacher who had claimed to buy the best and then they lasted 5 minutes

Thanks everyone will check out the links and sent my list off to Santa
                    Remember that anything you buy from online stores, you can return it 7 days if it doesn't suit you. So you do have a chance to hold the pliers, see how they feel in the hand etc. Plus, you can do that in a relaxed setting in your own home, not in a shop with beady-eyed sales assitants peering at you ;-)

So I wouldn't worry too much about buying online. Its a great way to shop, also many of the sellers will be experienced crafters themselves who can give you great technical assistance and advice, not always the case with shop staff in real bricks and mortar stores who sometimes know next to nothing about the products they are selling.

I too really like the Beadsmith tools, although they can be a little on the smaller size. The Ergo range and the colour-co-ordinated sets are very popular with my customers.
                    Emma
                    www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
                    www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
                    www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

A decent set from somewhere like cooksonsgold will last you years, even if you are heavy handed a good set will last, i bought all of my tools from there and they are still going strong after 15 years of jewellery making :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X