I've made a major torch purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've made a major torch purchase

I've just taken delivery of my new toy!!!!

It's a Microflame torch and I'm loving it already, and I've not switched it on yet.................just drooling over it.

I don't have to worry about big gas bottles or anything like that, which would have me un-nerved anyway!

Does anyone here have any experience of them? Any does or don'ts with them that the manual may not cover.

I bought mine straight from the manufacturers and Dave there is great to get on with. I got it for nearly half the price I would have paid from the normal jewellery suppliers..................... Bryzel Limited. www.bryzel.co.uk

Cheers
    Fran

You lucky thing!!!
    One day I too will have a torch..... and a kiln..... and some glass rods.... and some mandrels......and ....and ....and ..... pigs might fly!
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Is it a soldering thingy?

I hate naked flames/gas, I agree, very unnerving.
      https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

I forgot, I want a full time shed to myself with no bikes etc.

It's for torching glass for beads.
        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
          You lucky thing!!!
          One day I too will have a torch..... and a kiln..... and some glass rods.... and some mandrels......and ....and ....and ..... pigs might fly!

I said that a few years back and guess what? THIS PIG IS FLYING!!!

Fran

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
            Is it a soldering thingy?

I hate naked flames/gas, I agree, very unnerving.
            Yes it's a naked flame but no gas bottles to secure and protect, it runs off electric and mixes various things to get the flame. Down side is that it's power hungry.

Fran

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
              I forgot, I want a full time shed to myself with no bikes etc.

It's for torching glass for beads.

AND PIGS REALLY WILL FLY!!!

Comment

Hi Fran,
                just saw something pink flying overhead......
                Congrats on getting the torch. Want a few tips???

The flame on this torch is HOT and FAST and unlike anything you might have used before.
                Keep your body parts away from the flame
                You will not feel the pain until you have a nice neat burn.(usually quite deep) and yes, I speak from painful experience.
                It will melt small pieces of metal and chain very rapidly, so LOTS of practise on scrap first.
                Use a finer tip for delicate items. and a broad tip for more heat.

Just a thought, I light the flame from a night light candle I keep on the bench. Saves a lot of faffing - when you have mastered lighting the torch without blowing out the candle flame, give yourself a gold star.

Have lots of fun and Be Safe.

PS. MEK will strip off the suface of any flooring you have. (Leaves it nice and clean though.)

Ruth.

Comment

Hi Seahorse.
                  "I hate naked flames/gas, I agree, very unnerving. "

Have a look at the cold (no soldering) connections on the jewellery by Moonfish designs dot com (I can't post URL'S yet while I am still a "junior" member. Somehow makes my 57 years seem unimportant in the grand scheme of things)

Look at the Archives at Moonfish jewellery made by Nancie Fisher as she originally did all the work with cold connecting. It is very thought provoking and very lovely.

Cheers, Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by benchaddict View Post
                    Hi Fran,
                    just saw something pink flying overhead......
                    Congrats on getting the torch. Want a few tips???

The flame on this torch is HOT and FAST and unlike anything you might have used before.
                    Keep your body parts away from the flame
                    You will not feel the pain until you have a nice neat burn.(usually quite deep) and yes, I speak from painful experience.
                    It will melt small pieces of metal and chain very rapidly, so LOTS of practise on scrap first.
                    Use a finer tip for delicate items. and a broad tip for more heat.

Just a thought, I light the flame from a night light candle I keep on the bench. Saves a lot of faffing - when you have mastered lighting the torch without blowing out the candle flame, give yourself a gold star.

Have lots of fun and Be Safe.

PS. MEK will strip off the suface of any flooring you have. (Leaves it nice and clean though.)

Ruth.

Thanks Ruth,

Great info there and just the kind of feedback I was looking for, so any more info would be we appreciated.

I've been playing away yesterday and I LOVE this machine. You weren't kidding about the heat and speed. Wow! what a difference to my little DIY torch from Homebase

Will keep in mind about the MEK. I did spill a little on the workbench and it's left a dry crusting behind, easy wiped away though.

Seems as though the candle thing will be quite an acheivement IF I can manage. I have to admit I don't like the thing you use for stricking a spark, that has me jumping every time the flame catches.

Fran

Comment

Originally posted by benchaddict View Post
                      Hi Seahorse.
                      "I hate naked flames/gas, I agree, very unnerving. "

Have a look at the cold (no soldering) connections on the jewellery by Moonfish designs dot com (I can't post URL'S yet while I am still a "junior" member. Somehow makes my 57 years seem unimportant in the grand scheme of things)

Look at the Archives at Moonfish jewellery made by Nancie Fisher as she originally did all the work with cold connecting. It is very thought provoking and very lovely.

Cheers, Ruth
                      Here you go Ruth,

http://www.moonfishdesign.com/Index.html It is a wonderful site and wonderful artist

Another cold connection designer that has various books out is Joanna Gollberg. I have the 'making metal jewelry' and have learned a lot from it. http://www.joannagollberg.com/limitededition.html

Lots of wonderful jewellery can be made without the use of naked flames and Ganoksin Archives are just the place to see a lot of inspiration from other designers work.
                      http://www.ganoksin.com/index.htm
                      You can spend hours on this site just drooling.

Fran

Comment

Working...
                      X