Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling mills

Hi all,

Looking for some hints and tips on rolling mills.

I've just bought and waiting for delivery of a 3" rolling mill so that I can make my own filigree wire and some other things like imprinting designs on sterling silver sheet.

Also got a great deal on a mill that corragates sheet silver, looking forward to having some fun with that.

Any advice would be welcome

Cheers

Fran

Hello Fran,
    Well, as you asked,

On the subject of rolling mills, fantastic. I can give you some E-references about looking after the rollers. (when I find them) But for now,
    • Never put steel through the mill. It will mark the rollers immediately. No steel mesh. No steel templates. I have seen one jewellery book advocate the use of a steel template, but if you value the mill. don't do it.
    • Always use softer metals, brass, copper, silver, gold and platinum. Paper, fabric, leaves(?)
    • Make sure the metal you are rolling is dry and free from pickling acid. (acid will etch the rollers and water will rust them.)
    • Keep the rollers protected when not using the mill (again I need to find the reference from Ganoksin. It is there!)
    • Expriment away, different papers can give a beautiful texture. buy some cheap thin brass or copper sheet at a hobby supply shop and practice on that. You can incorporate it into jewellery if you like the results.
    Again, have fun, it is a very useful piece of equipment which should last you many years.

Ruth, :-)

Comment

Working...
    X