Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed about jewellery drills

Good afternoon fellow crafters,
    Hope this message finds you well and enjoying the rare sight of the sun.
    I have been making jewellery for a few years now and am slowly learning new techniques etc. I now want to start making my own pendants by upcycling used materials and therefore need to invest in a drill. i don't really want to spend a lot of money (£30ish) just in case i don't enjoy it. Would any one recommend a specific type or brand that would be good for a beginner?
    Many thanks
    Debra
    x
    Much love,
    Deb

www.debrajacksondesigns.com

tbh if you just need to add some holes, there are lots of pretty cheap ways of doing it. You can just use a drill bit in a pin vice, a little archimedian hand drill, or use a punch plier (which works extremely well). If you decide to go further, then it's worth saving for a proper flexshaft, but these are a fair investment, and it's worth being sure you'll use it!
    george
    www.mizgeorge.co.uk
    www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
    www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Thansk George. That is great advice. I really just need it to be able to add holes to shells, pebbles and perhaps some metal things. Would a archimedian hand drill do this. I wasn't sure whether the punch pliers would damage the shells etc?
      Much love,
      Deb

Comment

A little hand / archimedian drill will certainly do the job. You need to make sure you work under water if you're drilling shell as the dust particles can be very dangerous.
        george
        www.mizgeorge.co.uk
        www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
        www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Long ago when I was a young jeweller I nicked my dad's hand drill and used it for years.
          now I'm an old not really a jeweller (not sure what I am but I bash metal a lot) and knock out bits by the 100 I couldn't live without my mini drill in a stand. i can't remember when I bought that. half way through my life? but it cost me £30 .

If you were being sensible you ought to go for a cheap or charity shop hand drill, make your jewellery, sell it and with the profits buy a powered drill.

Comment

Thanks both for your great advice x
            Much love,
            Deb

Comment

Working...
            X