First fete yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First fete yesterday

Wow, had my first fete yesterday. It was very scary, although it was only a small school one. Disappointingly one stall holder (handbags) didn't turn up, and of the 5 stalls there, there was also another jewellery stall. Not quite sure why they asked 2 of us, although our items were quite different.

It was a good experience, although was quieter than they'd anticipated. Luckily, the fee was 10% of fees rather than a flat rate, and I still made a profit even though I only had 13 sales. One stall didn't sell anything though, and another only sold to existing customers. Lots of people were interested and said they'd come back but didn't.

Still, I managed to get my business card into lots of people's hands, and now I know I can do a fete and what I'd do differently next time. Given I'm only really doing this as a part time thing, I'm quite happy to do these small things if I can still make a profit after petrol and fees.
    Blog: http://yarnhillcrafts.blogspot.com
    MISI shop: http://yarnhillcrafts.misi.co.uk
    Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/YarnHillCrafts/

Wow, had my first fete yesterday. It was very scary, although it was only a small school one.
    Well done for getting through it. The first one is always the most frightening - it gets better the more you do!

Disappointingly one stall holder (handbags) didn't turn up, and of the 5 stalls there, there was also another jewellery stall. Not quite sure why they asked 2 of us, although our items were quite different.
    It's not at all unusual for stallholders to not turn up - particularly at events which are not solely crafts and not organised by experienced craft fair organisers. I did the local village school fete on Saturday and the teachers were so busy running around sorting out the kiddies tables/games etc I think most of them didn't even notice I'd arrived! (I've been before so I just got on with it).

It was a good experience, although was quieter than they'd anticipated.
    So was the one I did - must have been something in the air!

Luckily, the fee was 10% of fees rather than a flat rate, and I still made a profit even though I only had 13 sales. One stall didn't sell anything though, and another only sold to existing customers.
    Sounds like you did pretty well all told. At my first ever fair I took 45p (and that was one of the other stallholders).

Lots of people were interested and said they'd come back but didn't.
    Happens all the time I'm afraid - don't believe them then you won't be disappointed.

Still, I managed to get my business card into lots of people's hands, and now I know I can do a fete and what I'd do differently next time.
    That's all very positive.

Given I'm only really doing this as a part time thing, I'm quite happy to do these small things if I can still make a profit after petrol and fees.
    That's more or less what I do. After a few years of doing various shows/fairs locally I am now in the lucky position of rarely having to go out looking for fairs to do as organisers contact me. I've even had to turn down people on occasion as I am already booked.

Good luck with future events; I hope they are all as good or better than your first.
    Linda

Comment

Working...
    X