Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New chainmaille :)

Hey folks

Thought I'd share some new chainmaille makes I've out together over the last 6 weeks or so - with my eye playing up I've not been able to rattle through them as quickly as I usually can, but I've enjoyed doing them nonetheless!

This is one of my new favourites...

This was a custom order, which the client is totally delighted with (always makes for a good feeling!)

This was fun (and VERY quick to make. Think the little hint of colour is very effective, but I guess I'm biased!

Another of my favourites - love weaving dragonscale...

This is really special. I love how it drapes on the wrist, even thought it's stainless steel and copper and therefore pretty weighty!

This was another lovely weave to do - found it quite relaxing (I must be odd!)

I have a couple new projects on the go at the mo, but am pretty much unable to do anything as my eyes are now playing up so badly I can barely see The laser surgery hasn't worked, and I'm having such awful complications I wish I hadn't bothered with it in the first place. Typical, this happens just as the chainmaille is starting to take off!!!

Sarah Gail Designs
    Sarah Gail Designs on Facebook
    Crafty Cat Events
    Crafty Cat Events on Facebook

Sarah....You know I love your work.....but these are the best yet!!! I am in love with with the 1st one....it's gorgeous.
    I do hope you can get something done about your eye...huge hugs xxxx
    Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

They are great Sarah, I particularly like the 1st and 3rd one. Hope your eye is better soon.
      Angie

My Blog - Angie's Crafting Palace

Comment

Originally posted by Loody View Post
        Sarah....You know I love your work.....but these are the best yet!!! I am in love with with the 1st one....it's gorgeous.
        I do hope you can get something done about your eye...huge hugs xxxx
        Sarah, thank you - you've made my day!

I have to say I'm feeling very pleased with my recent stuff, even though having a gammy eye makes it so much more difficult! I definitely think I've found my "thing" - have so much to learn, though!!

The bracelet in the first pic is definitely one of my fave makes. I've done it in "just" bright aluminium too, but love the twist the purple accents give it. Will be experimenting with adding colour to different sets of rings as time goes on - I can see hundreds of variations in my head!
        I love the fact that there are SO many options, it's easy to make each different bracelet a one-off

And thank you for the virtual hug by the way - very much appreciated as I'm feeling pretty drained at the mo. My eye is so painful I've had a constant headache for over two weeks, and I'm pretty cheesed off with it! On top of which, it's a week to our first hand-made only fair and I have so much to do (and very little support doing it!), that I don't know where to start first!!

Sarah Gail Designs
        Crafty Cat Events

Comment

OMG they're amazing!! I love chainmaille, but I can't make anything as complicated as those!! The purple and turquiose colours you've used with the silver looks gorgeous!! xx
          www.rockprincess.folksy.com
          www.treasurebox.folksy.com

Comment

I have to say I'm very jealous! I love making chainmaille and have been doing a lot of it lately...mine's nowhere near as good as yours though.

I've just finished a byzantine bracelet that has the sections linked with turquoise blue aluminium, I like using the colour in the pieces, it makes the pattern stand out even more
            Karly
            http://www.thesilvershack.co.uk
            http://twitter.com/thesilvershack1
            http://thesilvershack1.blogspot.com/
            https://www.facebook.com/TheSilverShack

Comment

Oh bother! I looked! I liked! I can't afford to buy one...... birthday coming up... must accidentally email him the link.....

Can you tell I like them

You most certainly have found 'your thing' - that shop just oozes mojo working!

Now Sarah, get your fingers out of your eye and get on with making more gloriously glittery things!

(I hope you eye gets better soon xx)
              Do not watch this space

Comment

Hi Sarah
                How amazing are your designs, I love them. Can I ask you are the designs your own or do you use a pattern. I am relatively new to chain maille and haven't come across any decent patterns.

Also where do you get your jump rings from. They look good quality ones and very shiney

Take care of that eye - hope you feel better soon

Tricia

Comment

They are stunning!! Not sure which one to pick as a favorite as they are all beautiful and how you can say easy to make is mind boggling to me!

Pauline
                  Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

Originally posted by trish63 View Post
                    Hi Sarah
                    How amazing are your designs, I love them. Can I ask you are the designs your own or do you use a pattern. I am relatively new to chain maille and haven't come across any decent patterns.
                    Have you looked online? I use www.mailleartisans.org , they have a huge library of weaves and a lot of easy to follow tutorials...you could also try www.cgmaille.com , I've heard it's good but never used that one myself
                    Karly
                    http://www.thesilvershack.co.uk
                    http://twitter.com/thesilvershack1
                    http://thesilvershack1.blogspot.com/
                    https://www.facebook.com/TheSilverShack

Comment

Silvershack
                      Thankyou I will go and have a look.
                      Do you know the best place to buy jump rings from. On the patterns I have got they mention different gauge sizes - I'm not really sure what that means

Comment

Thanks everyone for the very kind comments

The pieces in those photos are made with kits from www.bluebuddhaboutique.com who I believe do the best aluminium rings I've used - extra shiny, and lovely to use. I'm a massive fan of their kits and patterns, because they allow you to sell what you make from them without massive copyright problems, so long as you mention them. I have a few ideas for ways of weaving rings that I'm not sure if I've seen before, but I need to get a good supply of different size/gauge rings together to try them out - aspect ratio can be crucial!!

I love doing custom orders for people using their own choice of colour combinations - think it makes things that bit more "personal", and I get to do my favourite thing!

Have another couple of makes on the board, but can't get round to them, a I'm up to my eyes with prep for my first (as an organiser) hand-made only craft fair on Saturday - have a MOUND of stuff o do, but loving every second!! AM hoping to find an hour or two tomorrow to finish at leas one more bracelet, so will try to post pics then if I can - it's a beaut!!

Sarah Gail Designs
                        Crafty Cat Events

Comment

Sarah
                          Thank you for the website, an aladdin cave of jump rings.

Can you answer me a question. As a novice of chain maille I am a little confused with the different gauge sizes and what the best size jump ring to use when making a bracelet.

Can you help or do you know where I can get this information.

Many thanks and can't wait to see your new bracelet design.

Tricia

Comment

the size of jump ring is entirely dependent on the weave you want to use. For example, a byzantine weave requires an aspect ratio of 3.5, so if you were using 1mm wire, you'd need rings with an inner diameter of 3.5, but if you were using rings cut from 1.5mm wire, they'd need to have an id of 4.5.

There are some great maille resources out there, including www.mailleartisans.org and www.cgmaille.com
                            george
                            www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                            www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
                            www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Wow, such beautiful work! I especially like the gold one
                              http://www.etsy.com/shop/QueenVictoriana

Comment

Working...
                              X