Can you use a tumbler with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you use a tumbler with

Hi All, is it possible to use a tumbler to polish fingerprint and hand/footprint jewellery or is this a bad idea as I have heard that the print can rub off. Or can you put something over the print so it doesn't rub off. I haven't bought a tumbler but wondered if it would take out some of the manual labour of polishing with the 3 grades of sand paper. Thanks

Yes you can. It's completely non abrasive as long as you're using stainless steel shot and not other polishing media.

A tumbler only gives a final polish though - it won't remove any scratches or other imperfections, which should still be removed with wet and dry or (preferably) micromesh.
    george
    www.mizgeorge.co.uk
    www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
    www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Thanks George, should you use the tumbler after the micro mesh? Also I looked at a few you tube clips on using micro mesh and they used 6 different grades, what would you recommend starting and finishing with? Thanks K

Comment

Yes, the tumbler is the last polish.

I use 7 grades of micromesh starting with 1500, and working through 2400, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, 12000. I use both the 3600 and 4000 (though you could skip either one of these) because that's where most of the real scratch removal seems to happen. The grades beyond that are polishing, with the 12000 being almost like suede it's so smooth. The finish is fantastic and it's very satisfying to do by hand. I should mention, though, that I work with sheet and wire rather than metal clays.
        george
        www.mizgeorge.co.uk
        www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
        www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Working...
        X