Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewellery Parties

Hi

I've been selling my handmade jewellery at parties in my own home for some time now which has worked really well. A couple of people would like to host the parties for me which I'm interested in but I'm not sure how to go about it - do I offer them a commission on what I make, how much stock to take etc.

Loads of questions going round in my head - wondered if anyone had any thoughts or could point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

I know of a few people who do this who offer a 10% commission on all goods sold on the night, which helps the hostess pay for wine and nibbles so a cheap fun night
    Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jewell...57517267614070
    Folksy shop: http://www.folksy.com/shops/jewellerydesignsbycarla

Comment

I have done party plan in the past and offer 10% of total sales in goods, most pp's do not offer cash as an alternative as then you are paying them which they should declare as income etc and then can get very messy. If they do not declare the income you are knowlingly aiding them in tax avoidance, so stick with comm in goods, this is standard practice for tupperware, etc and most people that will host a party are aware of this.

Let them have a catalogue of what you have on offer and order forms as you may find they can get some orders from those not attending on the night, check your PLI let's you do this some don't, the same rules apply to your insurance whether in your own home, someone else's home or a craft fair.

Some PP's do games, not something I have done but depends how comfortable you feel doing this, rule of thumb have a start time and stick to it, thank the hostess for allowing use of her home, welcome the guests and introduce yourself, what you do etc if all handmade stress this point that not bought in and if you make bespoke items let them know now. If you want to do games to break the ice fine if not just let invite them to browse your designs and you are there to help if they need it.

Comment

I have done a few jewellery parties, and generally do a little gift for the hostess regardless of sales. I give everyone a 10% discount off my Etsy prices, and the hostess also gets 10% of sales as a voucher to get themselves something extra, either on the night or later via the web.
        www.cathsbeadyshed.co.uk
        www.etsy.com/shop/cathsbeadyshed

Comment

Hi Nicki,
          I did a lot of research on this before creating my incentive package.
          I offer 10% cash or 15% in goods. (most people go for goods) :-)
          I run a fun quiz with a prize - it's good ice breaker.
          I offer a bottle of fair trade wine for the next hostess when she holds her party to get it of to a swing.
          And I donate 5% to charity. :-)
          Hope this helps.
          cx
          Wishing you the success I also wish for myself
          May you be blessed with the kindness you show others in life.

Comment

Originally posted by carlangl View Post
            Hi Nicki,
            I did a lot of research on this before creating my incentive package.
            I offer 10% cash or 15% in goods. (most people go for goods) :-)
            I run a fun quiz with a prize - it's good ice breaker.
            I offer a bottle of fair trade wine for the next hostess when she holds her party to get it of to a swing.
            And I donate 5% to charity. :-)
            Hope this helps.
            cx

Do you advise the tax office that you have paid them in cash and advise the hostess that she has to declare this as income? If you don't you could be opening a can of worms which is why all the big party plan companies deal in commission to be spent on goods not cash income. If they are paid for hosting a party in the form of cash this is additional income and has to be declared to HMRC

Comment

A very good point, Carole. I've always done 10% commission in goods and I also give the hostess an extra free little gift for each party booking that comes as a result of hers (though I give this when the parties have been held). I've been to some where it's been quite formal - welcome, introduction, thanks, etc. My most successful one last year was very informal and I think my hostess had just invited ALL her neighbours off the street to wander through whilst she supplied wine & nibbles. Must have been about 40 or so people who just came to buy and didn't linger. She's promised to hold another one this year and I won't be letting her forget it!
              Jane

If beads were still currency, I'd be a millionaire!

http://www.wildheartcrafts.co.uk/

Comment

I agree Jane a gift for a party booking but not until the night otherwise they could cancel and run off with the gift. Good to keep in contact with your hostess's and you are right to not let the idea of another party drop.

I have always found that PP is the most lucrative mainly because you have a captive audience and generally people will buy even if something mall plus with the wine flowing the purses seem to open more.

Comment

The usual commission is 10-20% from the total sum of the sold goods. It is a very good idea to sell your own made goods at the parties. Please, write us about the results.
                  personalised birthday cards

Christmas greeting cards

Comment

I used to run lots of jewellery parties and picked up quite a few tips alone the way (as well as learning what NOT to do!)

I've put most of what I remember down into an article on my site that you might find useful
                    Running a Sucessful Jewellery Party

Hope you find it useful!
                    Emma
                    www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
                    www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
                    www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all the ideas about how to set up a party at someone's house and will let you know how it all goes hopefully sooner rather than later.

Sorry about delay replying but seem to be running around everywhere at the moment (son doing A levels so I'm walking on eggshells at home - can't say the right thing for trying!).

Apologies for the quick moan - am dreaming of days of peace and quiet with just beads for company.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X