Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed from those who sell their jewellery please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed from those who sell their jewellery please!

Hello

I make silver jewellery, and have recently set up a website to sell my items.

However, I dont know if I have done the right thing or not...

I have a mixed site, selling both my handmade jewellery, and some bought items to boost the number of products.

My handmade items are more expensive than the bought stuff to cover my costs etc.

However, i have tried to include my handmade items on online boutiques, only to be told they are not in the right price bracket (eg too cheap for them). If i put up my handmade prices, i feel there will be too big a gap from the bought stuff. I have advertised in magazines and on facebook etc, but now feel i am getting stuck. Do i raise the price of all my stock? Im thinking i should have just stuck to handmade items, but i wanted to get some regular income hence the varied products on sale.

Any suggestions/advice will be gratefully received, and also any other ways to get my jewellery out there.

Thanks in advance.

Pinny

It may be that perhaps you need to keep both things seperate....you don't want to de-value your quality handmade jewellery by offering lower quaility mass produced cheaper stuff on the same site. It's just my personal view of shopping (and selling jewellery).... people just don't understand why handmade costs more and can't get their heads round the time it takes to design and make a quality piece.
    Put a link on your signature and perhaps people can do see your site for themselves and maybe offer more informed advice
    Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

I'm another who'd keep bought in stuff away from my handmade, probably to the extent of not having it on the same website. Think quality handmade stuff deserves it's own space!

Sarah Gail Designs
      Sarah Gail Designs on Facebook
      Crafty Cat Events
      Crafty Cat Events on Facebook

Comment

I'd agree too. I don't think the two necessarily go together, unless the bought in pieces are of exceptionally high quality.
        george
        www.mizgeorge.co.uk
        www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
        www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Originally posted by mizgeorge View Post
          I'd agree too. I don't think the two necessarily go together, unless the bought in pieces are of exceptionally high quality.
          Even if the bought in was really good, I think you'd have to be very very good at making clear that it wasn't hand-made, as potentially, being sold alongside hand-made items, there's the potential for confusion between the two which could be seen as misleading (which Trading Standards might be concerned about). So much easier to keep them apart, if there's a need for the bought in stuff at all, IMHO.

Sarah Gail Designs
          Sarah Gail Designs on Facebook
          Crafty Cat Events
          Crafty Cat Events on Facebook

Comment

Hiya

Thanks for your advice. My website is missdollys com if you would like to have a look and give me any feedback

Thanks

Comment

To be honest, you have some nice bought in pieces there. However, they don't seem to quite fit with the handmade in terms of style (without even looking at the price equation).

I wonder the simple answer might be to separate the two within the same site - perhaps a two option launch page with Miss Dolly's Handmade on one side and Miss Dolly's Contemporary on the other to make it really clear that the two ranges are entirely distinct and separate?

(BTW, I couldn't see any terms and conditions or geographic address on the website - you need both of these to comply with distance selling regulations)
              george
              www.mizgeorge.co.uk
              www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
              www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Yeah I would find a way to seperate them. Maybe you can have two sections on the site, handmade and costume or something.
                You don't want to have to put up the prices of the jewellery you've wholesaled too as the whole point is to keep it cheap and get some extra income.

Hope you figure it out

Comment

Hiya

Thanks for your suggestions. I've tried to make a distinction between the two, but maybe i can tweak the site a bit more. The terms and conditions are on there, but i'll need to add my address, thanks for pointing that out!

Anybody have any ideas about advertising more? Got the website but need people to actually look at it! lol

How do you go about selling jewellery in shops? Do you just turn up and ask if they would like to stock it? Do you give a retail price and then they take a comission, sale or return, or do they buy it from you? This is a whole new area to me so any pointers would be most welcome, thanks

missdollys com

Pinny

Comment

Working...
                  X