Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewellery Making, please help!??

Hi all

I want to start making jewellery but don't know where to start, e.g where to but the gemstomes etc..??? Can anyone give me any tips on how and where to start, maybe send me some links as well

Well appericated

Thanks

Donna x
    Life is full of suprises and one of the is ME!

www.creativehandmadecards.com

Hello and welcome Donna. Hope you'll enjoy the forum.

I'm also just in the beginning stages of making jewellery myself as it's something that has tempted me for a while and I can feel a bead addiction coming on.

There are so many books out there, do you have a local craft place near you? Then you can flick through and see which one might work best for you. I've tried a couple and one of them scared me and then another pulled me in.

From my own personal experience I found it very daunting looking at all the various stuff out there and what to do with it but if you have a particular kind of jewellery you want to start off with I think that helps narrow what you're looking at a lot.

Best of luck, I'm sure the experienced people here can give you much better advice than me.
    Plushie and Amigurumi Love

Comment

Hi Donna

What kind of jewellery making you are interested in?
      If it is metalsmith : model making, lost wax casting, gems setting i may help you with links and advices.

Cheers

Regards from sunny Bulgaria
      Magic in your life: www.velango.com
      Fine jewellery : www.trinketsltd.com

Comment

Hi

I don't actually know which will be easier or cheaper to start of with? I am actually intrested in gems and stuff like silver jewellery, but i am up for just starting of at the bottom (which i believe is the beads) please can you advise me if you can?

Oh i have had a look on the internet and couldn't find anything that can give me guidance in my local libary as there are just books for more experience jeweller's and couldn't see any starter books!

Anyway please can anyone help!

Thanks

Donna x

Comment

Hi Donna

There was a similar question on the forum recently (link below) which might help. When I started to make jewellery I bought one from the 'dummies' series that, although not full of pretty pictures, had lots of very basic techniques and explanations - it is called ' Jewelry Making and Beading for Dummies ' and I am sure you can get it from amazon (along with many others!).

The forum thread I mentioned that might also help is http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5876

Good luck & enjoy it most of all !
          Mel

Comment

Hi Donna

Welcome to the wonderful world of jewellery making!! Prepare to become an addict!!

A nice way to start is with just some simple with some costume jewellery and then work up toward the more expensive gems and silver. There are lots of good books that you can buy and some good free guides on the internet. Drop me a line if you would like some links!

Also, a lot of bead shops sell kits which include everything you need and instructions to make jewellery. This can also be a great way to learn some new skills.

Happy beading

Fran x
            www.hellobeads.co.uk
            Hello Beads Online Bead Shop- "Little Things, Great Joy"

Comment

Hello Donna

about.com have lots of jewellery tutorials for beginners. I found it useful when I started.

Welcome to the world of bead addiction!!

Julz

Comment

I agree with Julz -about.com is great for these sorts of things - they also have a newsletter that you can subscribe to which sends you hints and tips weekly.
                www.hellobeads.co.uk
                Hello Beads Online Bead Shop- "Little Things, Great Joy"

Comment

Hi everyone

Thanks for all the replies, please continue to post if you have any other tips for me

Thanks donna x

Comment

I bought a book called the basics of bead stringing by debbie kanan when i first started making jewellery i found it very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by CreativeDesigns2007 View Post
                      Hi all

I want to start making jewellery but don't know where to start, e.g where to but the gemstomes etc..??? Can anyone give me any tips on how and where to start, maybe send me some links as well

Well appericated

Thanks

Donna x
                      Hello Donna and everyone,

This is my first post, so I hope it's ok!

I know of a book called 'Two in One Jewellery Manual' By Coles.

It's basically two books in one (as the title would suggest!).

It concentrates on silver jewellery with some aspects of gem setting.

It gives you techniques from beginner level all the way to advanced, lists all the tools needed for the book and is full of projects to do (again, from beginnner to advanced).

It helped me years ago!

Could be a good find on ebay or something.

Comment

some good ideas for a beginer here. http://jewelrymaking.about.com/od/be...ers_Corner.htm
                        good projects for all levels http://www.firemountaingems.com/bead...os/default.asp

this book was in my local library good read http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewellery-Ma...260872-0603100

This is the one my tutor recomended but that was a long time ago. still a good book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewellery-Ma...260872-0603100
                        "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
                        my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

I read about this one recommended today: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Discover-Bea...0143210&sr=1-1
                          Mel

Comment

Hi Donna,

Good to hear that you want to start jewelry making. Jewelry making is so much fun & excitment. What kind of jewelry are you looking for? If you are looking for gemstones than you can find many wholesale suppliers simply by searching on google.

We are glad to inform you that [MOD EDIT - And we are glad to inform you that you've been banned once already for spamming so please take the hint and stop!]

Regards,
                            Amrita.
                            Last edited by nattynetty; 01-10-2007, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Hi, I make a few bits of jewellery and I found it easier to buy a ready made kit when I first started, and just play around to see what worked. If you're not sure how to use the findings etc, try looking at a good book until you have the hang of it.

If you want to make your own beads (which is actually great fun, although much messier and time consuming and mine nEVER turn out perfectly round!) then there's a great demonstration online that shows you how :

http://www.crafts-beautiful.com/site...ul_april_2007/

I hope that's OK to post links, i belong to so many different forums I tend to forget what's allowed on which, so apologies if I'm wrong!

Anyway I hope you get on well, jewellery making is lots of fun and it's a great hobby to have near Christmas time

Comment

Working...
                              X