Silver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver

Is sterling silver different from solid silver and does solid silver come in wire form and if it does is it easy to manipulate?
    Something Shiny Something Sparkly
    Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
    My blog
    Facebook

Sterling Silver refers to the purity, like Fine Silver and the various karats for real gold. Sterling Silver is 92.5% pure silver, with the remainder being alloys used to give it strength. Pure silver is a very soft metal so it needs the extra oomph for durability. Fine Silver is 99.9% pure silver - PMC produces a metal that is 99.9% pure. Only silver that is 92.5% pure can be called Sterling.

The term 'solid silver', as I understand it, is just a catch-all phrase to mean that the only component in an item is silver. You hear about 'solid silver tea pots' and the like. [I always wonder why they say that, because quite clearly they're not solid silver, otherwise where does the tea go?]

Both Sterling Silver and Fine Silver are available in wire of varying gauges and tempers. The easiest to manipulate is Soft, but it's a bit too flexible for most uses. Good for wrapping, though. Half-Hard is the middle ground, and is suitable for most things, and Fully Hard can be a swine.
    Last edited by Pretty things; 19-02-2011, 03:49 PM. Reason: bad grammar ....
    Heather
    Pretty Things Handmade Jewellery

Website - www.prettythingsjewellery.co.uk

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

New blog - www.prettythingsandwitterings.blogspot.com

Comment

Good explanation Heather. I can't add anything to it.

Melanie

Comment

Thank you Heather. I work with sterling silver wire so I doubted what I knew about it when a customer asked for solid silver and not sterling silver, but I suspect what I have created may not be what he wants I think he is looking for someone to mould him a pendant out of silver rather than bend wires into one. Any one up for a challenge if he's not into my work?
        Something Shiny Something Sparkly
        Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
        My blog
        Facebook

Comment

Hello - Happy to take a commission - will PM details to you!

Comment

Sterling Silver is a good standard to set for silver jewellery. It is beautiful and pliable, and is generally of respected quality.
            Check out our beads, pearls, stones and indie-designed findings!
            http://www.stonesandfinding.com
            Make it beautiful

Comment

Originally posted by appatite View Post
              Sterling Silver is a good standard to set for silver jewellery. It is beautiful and pliable, and is generally of respected quality.
              Do you know what?
              Spam, even trying to disguise itself as genuine posts, always works better if you get your website link right.....
              george
              www.mizgeorge.co.uk
              www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
              www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Working...
              X