Please Help - Problems with Jewellers Saw :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help - Problems with Jewellers Saw :(

Wanting to use flush cut rings for my jewellery, I have now got a jewellers Saw and have blade sizes 2/0 and 2. I have tried cutting my 0.8 size silver plated copper wire with both with no success. The blades are getting blunt very fast which shocks me because these blades are designed for use with the size wire I have. The wire I use is run of the mill jewellery wire from Wires.co.uk and the blades are Vallorbes from Cookson and gold. The tension is as tight as I can get it but for some reason I just cannot get a good cut. So far I have managed to cut only 5 rings
    Are the blades perhaps too small or too big? I'm very confused and frustrated. All I want is to be able to cut nice rings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know it sounds silly, but have you got the blades in the right way around? When you're holding the saw frame with the handle downwards and the gap towards you, the teeth should be pointing outwards and down.

I'm doing a basic jewellery course at nightschool, and have struggled to cut anything if the blades in the wrong way, but more because the blade has snapped. Could be worth a check, though.

Failing that, someone with more knowledge than me is doubtless to be along soon!

Sarah Gail Designs
    Sarah Gail Designs on Facebook
    Crafty Cat Events
    Crafty Cat Events on Facebook

Comment

Hiya,

I always use 3/0 vallorbes which I get from Cooksons- have no trouble cutting with these so might be worth trying a different size and also as muffin says make sure teeth are pointing down- carefully run your finger down - you can tell quite quickly which way teeth are facing (please do it gently though )

Hope this helps.

Jane
      Full Time Jewellery Designer and Silversmith

Comment

Also, don't forget that for best results, you need to hold the saw vertical when in use - that was another of my early lessons!!!

Sarah Gail Designs
        Sarah Gail Designs on Facebook
        Crafty Cat Events
        Crafty Cat Events on Facebook

Comment

Copper is harder to cut than sterling, but your blades are unlikely to be blunt - clogged perhaps? As others have said blades outwards and downwards pointing (stroke your finger along the edge to check they're correctly seated). Check the tension - you are looking for a pretty high pitched 'ping' from the blade. Are you using a fixed or adjustable saw frame?

2/0's pretty big for 20ga wire (2 is waaaaay too big!), but should cut fine. Make sure your blade is lubicated using cut lube (burr life), or beeswax/candle if you don't have any. Lube the back of the blade, not the teeth. It's often easiest to make your first cut at 45 degrees. The most important thing is to make sure your blade doesn't wobble off the perpendicular from the coil - even a degree or two will cause it to lock into the metal. If this happens, relax, let go of the handle (which you should be holding pretty loosely anyway) and let it reposition itself before continuing.

It's not always easiest to cut jump rings on a pin. I generally hold the coil (especially for smaller sizes or large ARs, the coils for which can be pretty wobbly) between my thumb and middle finger and cut that way.

Unfortunately, cutting plated wire is never going to give brilliant results - the cut edges of the plating will always be vulnerable to chipping and wear.

There should be some videos on either benchtube (ganoksin) or youtube which might well help.
          george
          www.mizgeorge.co.uk
          www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
          www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Thank You for all your replies
            Thankfully, shortly after writing this post I read somewhere to use a size blade smaller than the one recommended. My Husband happened to have some from years ago and in his stash I found some very fine blades which are doing the trick nicely.

I know that plated wire is not ideal, however, at present I cannot afford to use any other silver besides plated. Once I have made enough money I will be investing in some sterling.

Comment

Working...
            X