Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuttlefish Casting problems... help?!

Hello

Not been on here for ages, as I have been very busy with my new business.
    Which leads me to my question, I have spent the last few frustrating days trying to do some cuttlefish casting.... it's not going well. I cannot seem to get the melted silver to go down to the bottom of the cast, it either goes a small way down or pools on the top and sets.... help!
    Any tips?
    Last edited by hdflred; 10-02-2011, 01:26 PM.
    Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

www.thechildrensjewellerycompany.co.uk

Sounds like your molten silver isn't molten enough. You need to keep the flame on it as you pour, which needs to be done very quickly. Have you got a wide enough 'funnel' cut into your cast?

I found casting much easier once I started using a WHIP as I didnt' seem to need quite so many hands any more!
    george
    www.mizgeorge.co.uk
    www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
    www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Thanks for your reply George
      I am using a WHIP but think maybe I'm just not getting enough heat. I am going to try and add another torch to the equation if I can do so without setting myself on fire.
      Thanks again
      Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

Comment

Several things could help;

1) make sure that you've cut a fairly wide funnel that's not too deep - you don't need a long sprue
        2) make sure that you're melting a lot more than you need, so there is plenty of weight on top to help force the metal down before it cools
        3) If you're using a two part cuttlefish mould use something fine like a broken sawblade to lightly scratch out some air vents radiating out from the hollow bit to the outside to allow any air to escape as trapped air can either prevent the metal from completely filling the mold or if you're unlucky can occasionally force the metal back out rather sharpish (does look impressive though)
        4) As Mizgeorge says, keep the flame on it while you pour but I would also add to gradually tilt it before pouring so that you are also heating the side of the crucible as well - sometime if you just melt the metal in the centre of the crucible and tip it too quickly the metal hits the colder edge of the crucible and "freezes" so its not quite fully molten when you try and pour it in the mold.
        5) Also ditto Mizgeorge - the WHIP (available from Palmers) definitely makes it easier

Edit just seen your post - No. 1 rule make sure your torch is up to the job

Comment

What sort of torch are you using Harriet?
          george
          www.mizgeorge.co.uk
          www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Thanks guys will take all that on board I'm all out of cuttle fish at the moment, but will not let this defeat me!!! ....George this is the torch I'm using> http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/Tools/...rch-11860.aspx
            Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

Comment

Harriet, I don't think that particular torch is up to the job tbh. If you don't have access to an oxypropane or even propane only setup, you might find a good plumbers torch will do the job better.
              george
              www.mizgeorge.co.uk
              www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Agreeing with the above. Before I bought my microflame torch (alias the flamethrower) I have for years used this assortment of blow torches. You need the big one. Look in B&Q or some such store.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by benchaddict; 13-02-2011, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all you help guys! I got a plumbers torch as suggested and I DID IT!! finally managed to fill my cast and made this ring, which I have set with some lovely amber coloured sea glass.

YIPPEE... there is no stopping me now! Thanks again!
                  Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

Comment

I don't seem to be able to see it Harriet?
                    george
                    www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                    www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Oh does this work??? (Never managed to get a photo to post on here)

Or maybe this Facebook link works...... http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...029008&theater
                      Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

Comment

That's a beautiful ring.
                        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Working...
                        X