Which assay office?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which assay office?

I am hoping to get some advice please regarding registering with an assay office to get my items hallmarked.

I have been looking at the websites of the 4 offices and find it all very confusing. The prices all seem to differ for registering/sending items and I wondered if anyone could recommend which one may be best?

Also, I would like to get a laser stamp but do I have to get this as well as a normal punch or could I have just a laser one??
    Lyndsey

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

I use Birmingham because most of my work is in silver and I love the heritage of the anchor mark for silver jewellery. I'm also registered at London, and I have gold pieces marked there for similar reasons. If I made cutlery or plate, I'd definitely want to use Sheffield, and if I were Scottish, I'd probably have gone for Edinburgh!

If you are within travelling distance of any given office, that's often the easiest deciding factor as you can save quite a bit if you can deliver or pick up in person rather than posting. You can go for a laser only option - setup costs vary from place to place though.
    george
    www.mizgeorge.co.uk
    www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
    www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

thanks so much for your reply George. I was leaning towards Birmingham as my first choice just going by the websites. They have a lot of info on there with regards to filling in the forms etc. Now just need to decide what size stamp to get. I thought maybe the smallest would be best but then I gues it would be hard to see without a super strength magnifier!
      Lyndsey

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

Birmingham are by far the most helpful IMO. I have a couple of stamps - a really tiny one that will fit on jump rings etc, and a larger one for rings and pendants. Anything over 1mm I have 3d laser marked.
        george
        www.mizgeorge.co.uk
        www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
        www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Working...
        X