Liver of sulphur with beads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liver of sulphur with beads

Hi. Got a fab book out of the library yesterday and have found out about LOS and have a question about using it on items that include beads. The book seems (!) to say that you can dip any jewellery (silver, copper) that includes beads except bone, polymer clay and ivory, is this correct or have I read it wrong. Thanks.

Liver of Sulphur is great! I was using just the other day on a pair of silver earrings I made - I painted it on though rather than dipping it so I could avoid the silver and turquoise beads on the earring and get a graduated ombre effect (but to be honest this was a bit of a last minute descision to use LOS - usually I would have applied the patina before adding the beads, but I was a bit disorganised and making up the design as I went!)

You should be ok to dip in some beads, but I would definately avoid any that are absorbant - like the ones you mentioned and any softer gemstone beads like turquoise or lapis and definately shell and pearls that are more delicate generally - you wouldn't want them to be discoloured or end up of smelling like eggy liver of sulphur!!!

I would suggest if you are making something from scratch and adding beads that it might be better to apply the LOS first then then add your beads - this will also give you the chance to protect and polish the metal with Renaissance wax as well without having the beads in the way. Renaissance wax protects the patina and ensures your design will keep its darker look for much much longer than without, as it forms an invisible layer and stops the patina polishing away as you wear the jewellery.

Have fun!

Hannah
    WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
    Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

I think Mother of pearl and moonstone might get spoiled too
      x
      Chris xx
      My Website
      My Blog

Comment

If in doubt always best to err on the side of caution - or do a test...
        WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

Almost all stones are unaffected by LoS, as it reacts with metal, rather than anything else. Any stone with metallic inclusions can be a problem, as can very porous stones - only because they will hold the liquid.

I'd always recommend neutralising with a solution of bicarb after patinating. This applies especially to anything with stones and to pieces made from metal clay, which is more porous than milled metal sheet or wire.
          george
          www.mizgeorge.co.uk
          www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
          www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Interesting George - not heard of using bicarb for that, but sounds like a good idea - you've always got some useful tip up your sleeve!!
            WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

bicarb is fantastic for neutralising all sorts of things. If you use platinol rather than liver of sulphur (nastier chemical, but much nicer results) it's even more important.
              george
              www.mizgeorge.co.uk
              www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
              www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Thanks everyone that's great. I had heard about the bicarb, but can't remeber where now. I saw a book yesterday which was about silver with lampwork and in there was a recipe for just using hard boiled eggs instead of LOS! Makes sense in a funny kind of way and if our hens were laying anything these days I would have a little experiment! Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
                X