larger jewellery in tumblers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• larger jewellery in tumblers

I just wondered how large an item you could put in a tumbler before it ran the risk of "chinking" other items?

Many thanks!

Im sorry I'm not quite understanding what you mean can you explain it a bit further to gain a better idea of the context of your question?
    Handcrafted Jewellery - Sterling Silver and Genuine Gemstone Jewellery

Gift and Craft Fair organisers

Comment

I guess what i'm asking is:

is there a pint at which a piece is too large/heavy to put in a tumbler with other items because it might damage them?

Comment

Are you talking about polishing tumblers? I envisaged from the title putting a pile of necklaces and rings in a pint glass or something....then I'm not a jeweler so it's an understandable mistake. Wouldn't it depend on how hard or soft the various stones are? Or is that a silly thought?

pete
        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
        Facebook

Website

Comment

Yes bigger pieces can bend and damage other items, I sometimes barrel a big piece with some more durable small pieces. Though i dont barrel any large plain items as i have found the steel balls can pit the surface after a while of barrelling.

Stuart
          Sterling silver jewellery designed and made by Stuart Colclough in Wales.

www.scsilver.co.uk

www.scsilver.blogspot.com

Cymru am Byth.

Comment

Originally posted by SCsilver View Post
            Yes bigger pieces can bend and damage other items, I sometimes barrel a big piece with some more durable small pieces. Though i dont barrel any large plain items as i have found the steel balls can pit the surface after a while of barrelling.

Stuart
            Thanks for that Stuart!

Thanks also everyone else!

Comment

Ok tried this with 6 20gm items for an hour and they have come up great (brushed with soft brass brush & micro sandpaper first)

Now i'm wondering do I need to use brown tripoli before the rouge as, will the tripoli be too abrasive now?

Comment

ah also... ive read I should keep the steel shot in soapy water till I use it again? How often should I change this water if at all?

Comment

Working...
                X