Chain Maille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain Maille

Hello I am hoping someone on here can point me in the direction of a really good chain maille supplier.

I use to use Tania of Maillequeen - her rings were perfection! - She cut them by hand with very fine saw and then tumbled them afterwards - they would be sparkling silver and lovely to work with.

Now I am starting to run out of my lovely links and I am finding it hard to find a really good supplier - quality is far more important than price. I have ordered some links before and the quality just was not as good.

Can anyone help me on the name of a good supplier?

Thank you!

www.thedragonflycompany.co.uk is the only supplier I'd comfortably recommend in the UK at the moment.

If you want to import, then there are a number of excellent suppliers in the US, but you will inevitably have to pay import duty.

Beadsisters have some rings, but they come from the Ring Lord in Canada, and the quality is nowhere near as good.

Actually, Tania's rings, like all commercial suppliers, were cut with a jump ringer system, not by hand. It's only us purists that do that

Have you considered cutting your own? A jewellers saw costs very little, and you can then cut exactly the gauge and id you want in the precise quantities you need.
    george
    www.mizgeorge.co.uk
    www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
    www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Hi George,

Thanks for that I will look into that website. Yes you are right urban maille want lots of money for postage and duty. Tania told me that she use to cut them with a high precision blade. And yes I did buy some from beadsisters and they were nothing comparable to Tanias. Yes my husband looked into cutting the rings himself but with the time on our hands it seemed better to buy them in. Thanks very much!

Comment

The cutting system used for bulk production is a fine circular blade used in a flexshaft or dremel type drill. The coil is mounted into a holder and an arbour round the blade guides it across accurately. The cheaper (and I think just as good) version is the Koil Kutter, made by a lovely guy called Dave Arens - many of us have and use this system, and it's exactly the same as the jump ringer setup used by most suppliers.

Handcutting with an even finer blade and a jewellers saw gives an even more perfect ring, which is especially important at smaller sizes (where the kerf of the blade can take the ring slightly out of true). Once you get used to doing it, it really doesn't take very long at all, and is better value as you need only to buy in the wire and find a selection of mandrels - knitting needles work extremely well!

I think you'll find Dragonfly Lynne's rings are up to the standard you're looking for. Feel free to tell her I recommended that you get in touch with her.
        george
        www.mizgeorge.co.uk
        www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

I have to admit im a noob when it comes to cutting rings i just buy in, i suppose i should stop being so lazy and do it myself, its about the only thing i dont make myself. Do you use a drill to spiral the wire around a mandrel (knitting needle) or do you coil by hand?

Stuart
          Sterling silver jewellery designed and made by Stuart Colclough in Wales.

www.scsilver.co.uk

www.scsilver.blogspot.com

Cymru am Byth.

Comment

A cordless drill with a low torque setting or a cordless screwdriver (much lighter) with a three prong snap in chuck both work reall well. You can coil by hand, but it's hard to get a tight, consistent coil.
            george
            www.mizgeorge.co.uk
            www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Working...
            X