Ads

Collapse

Floating necklace and crimping, how do you finish yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nettie
    Mega Crafter
    • Jul 2008

I was watching a video earlier about how to make a floating necklace using crimps either side of the beads. I thought 'oh that's good' and was then expecting the person to squeeze it again and put a cover over it. I know I'm new to all this but what worried me was how sharp the corners of the little tube could be when it's squished. What are your thoughts and experiences of the finishing of this? Are they left flat for a reason or is it personal preference as to whether they are left flat, covered or magic crimped into a bead etc...? Thank you
    Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883
  • Luby
    100+ crafts club
    • Apr 2010

Hi Nettie

I think it's down to personal preference. I don't use a crimping tool to squish the crimps into a ball as i finf i'm more likely to get a sharp edge that way and I don't use covers very often either. I do tend to squish my crimp flat and make sure that they are all flat in the same direction (if you know what I mean) and that works ok for me.

I've made and sold quite a few of the floating style necklaces and not had any complaints so far but i think as in a lot of jewellery making you will find your own personal preference for how you like to do it and what you think is best. I guess what i'm trying to say is that there is no right or wrong answer so go with what you like best

Most of all just have fun

x
    Luby

Beadelicious
    Be Bold - Be Beautiful - Beadelicious
    Give us a shout - [email protected]

Comment

• Luby
      100+ crafts club
      • Apr 2010

Hi Nettie

I think it's down to personal preference. I don't use a crimping tool to squish the crimps into a ball as i finf i'm more likely to get a sharp edge that way and I don't use covers very often either. I do tend to squish my crimp flat and make sure that they are all flat in the same direction (if you know what I mean) and that works ok for me.

I've made and sold quite a few of the floating style necklaces and not had any complaints so far but i think as in a lot of jewellery making you will find your own personal preference for how you like to do it and what you think is best. I guess what i'm trying to say is that there is no right or wrong answer so go with what you like best
      Luby

Beadelicious

Comment

• jencel
        Mega Crafter
        • May 2009

You can also get some tiny sterling crimps, just big enough to go on one strand of beading wire. They're so small you almost can't see them, and although they're sterling, they're small enough to be inexpensive.
        Celia
        I can't be creative and tidy too
        www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
        The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
        Jencel on Facebook

Comment

• Caroleecrafts
          Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
          • May 2008

I don't use crimps at all for floating necklace's but a fine clear beadalon wire, which is wrapped back through and round the bead again, this holds the bead in place and cannot be seen.

Comment

• nettie
            Mega Crafter
            • Jul 2008

Thank you for your replies. I bought some teenytiny tubes by mistake and have put them to the side thinking I'd not use them as they seem so small, so I'll have a go of those before looking at silver ones. I hadn't thought about using clear wire, now that would really look like a floating necklace! Does the necklace 'kink' at all or the bead stick up when you put the wire back through or do you knot it either side of the bead like knotting pearls? Luby, I'm a bit surprised by what you said about the magic crimper as i thought it'd make for a smooth little ball...hmmm...I was thinking of getting one too I'm a bit upset that this fabby-looking bit of squishyness is not going to work properly and my excitement has just been unexcited!! I've watched demos of squashing the tube to make the 'ravioli' shape and then repeating it over and over until you get a little ball, the ravioli part looks sharp I must admit but the finished bobble looks really neat. Where do you find you're getting the sharp edges? Yup I understand what you said about getting all the flatened tubes going in the right direction, this would be one of my little niggles too hehehe...mind you, a few months ago i wouldn't have known what you were talking about! It's really interesting to learn and see all these new things. Thanks again
            Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

• freshfruitsalad
              100+ crafts club
              • Mar 2010

I have the same worries, I think mine are sharp, but nobody seems bothered, the only one that irritated me was some cheap 2mm silver plate ones.
              However, that's why I am looking at round crimps instead of tube crimps now, I used some round ones at jewellery class the other day and they are nowhere near as sharp- it's just finding some in sterling...

Jencel, do you have a link to the very small crimps?
              Dainty Rocks Jewellery ~ www.daintyrocks.etsy.com ~ www.daintyrocks.co.uk ~ @DaintyRocks

Comment

• Caroleecrafts
                Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
                • May 2008

Originally posted by nettie View Post
                I hadn't thought about using clear wire, now that would really look like a floating necklace! Does the necklace 'kink' at all or the bead stick up when you put the wire back through or do you knot it either side of the bead like knotting pearls?
                No it does not kink, the bead weight stops it from happening and no don't knot at the side, just thread the bead on, then take the wire over the top and back through the hole, then repeat again, this locks the bead in position. A bit small but may give you the idea.

Comment

• Kernowcraft
                  500+ Crafters Club
                  • Mar 2009

On floating necklaces that I have made in the past using pearls I have used a illusion cord (a clear monofilament thread) and then thread on the bead and put a small dab of glue (super glue or hypo cement would be ok for this) then move the bead over the glue. This way you only see the beads (the thread is almost invisible) and you don't have any scratchy crimps.

I do find that crimps that are simply squashed flat can be scratchy on your skin, however if you use the traditional style crimping pliers - which you can get to work on one thread only, this folds them up quite small and not as scratchy and if your bead is larger than the crimp it won't actually sit against your skin so this may work well for you.

Hope that helps!

Hannah
                  WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
                  Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

• jencel
                    Mega Crafter
                    • May 2009

Luby, I'm a bit surprised by what you said about the magic crimper as i thought it'd make for a smooth little ball
                    There are two types of crimping pliers. One is just called crimping pliers. It has two notches, and folds the crimp over on itself. I think this may be the one Luby means. The other is the magicals crimping pliers, which turn your crimp into a bead. I've found it's the crimping pliers that can leave a scratchy edge. I've never liked them for crimping, although they are very good for tucking in the sharp end of wire on a wrapped loop. The magicals, I find, are really good and once you've had a few practices, they shouldn't end up scratchy. I've done a tutorial here on how to use them.

Jencel, do you have a link to the very small crimps?
                    I'm afraid I haven't yet, they're in my "waiting to go on the website" box, along with quite a few other things. They're a 1x1mm crimp. I could take a photo and email it to you, if you'd like.

Edited to add - I forgot to say that I don't think the magicals would work for floating necklaces, as they are made to use with a double strand of .018 -.019" beading wire, and won't grip a fine wire or nylon.
                    Last edited by jencel; 10-09-2010, 10:46 AM.
                    Celia
                    I can't be creative and tidy too
                    www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
                    The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
                    Jencel on Facebook

Comment

• Luby
                      100+ crafts club
                      • Apr 2010

Hi

Yes that's what I meant Jencel. I don't like crimping pliers as I don't think they finish the crimps off to nicely and can be quite scratchy but the Magical Crimping pliers look completely different as they turn the crimp into a nice even bead so they would give you a nice neat ball.

Had never thought of using them for tucking in the end of a wrapped loop - will dig mine out and try that this weekend

x
                      Luby

Beadelicious

Comment

• nettie
                        Mega Crafter
                        • Jul 2008

Thanks everyone. I'm glad I can be excited again about the magical crimper that makes the tube into a bead/ball...Yay!! I read it wrong sorry Luby and thought you meant that you had found the resulting bead came out sharp.

Some of the demos only used a flat nose pliers and just flattened the crimp tube, leaving it as a little square/oblong sticking out like a flag, no crimp pliers or magical crimp pliers were used.

I think I'll do a bit more experimenting with all the different suggestions...thanks ever so much for your help

Comment

• Dennis12
                          Junior crafter
                          • Sep 2010

yah i have some design.

go through it you will find here!
                          Handmade Gemstone Jewelry

Comment

Working...
                          X