Sterling silver sweetie style bracelets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterling silver sweetie style bracelets

I need to source some sterling silver sweetie style bracelets to go with my fingerprint jewellery and am actually finding it quite difficult to find any for a decent price! Does anyone here stock them or have any recommendations?
    Tiny Tots Silver Prints

Silver Fingerprint Jewellery

http://www.facebook.com/TinyTotsSilverPrints

I have some silver sweetie style links on my website. If you find any in the UK, or anywhere else, remember that the weight of them will require you to have them hallmarked before you can sell them. There are several sellers on ebay that state that there bracelets are sterling silver.. however, often these are white copper (which is fine as it is present in sterling silver jewellery anyway) with a coating of sterling silver. The silver on these claims to be thick enough to pass hallmarking tests!!! Personally I wouldn't risk it!

My links are white copper, lead and nickel free, comply with EU regs, are the correct dimensions for sweetie style links and contain a small amount of sterling silver, but I would never describe them as sterling silver sweetie links.

hope that helps?

Angie
    http://www.beadsandjewellerysupplies.co.uk/

http://www.facebook.com/BeadsUK

Comment

This might help you. I email to clarify that it is definately sterling silver and this is what I got back:

hi
      welcome to our shop
      sweetie braceletsy are made from 925 silver,and gold plated on 925 silver

regards

TOM

http://www.wholesalejewelry365.com/l...let-c-1_2.html

Gemma x

Comment

but do you seriously believe you can buy a sterling silver bracelet for 10 dollars?

I can't tell you how many of these imports and fakes I've tested for customers, and not one has ever been sterling, nor would they pass assay office testing.

They're also far too heavy to sell on without having them hallmarked, so you need to either buy ready hallmarked ones in the UK, or buy/make your own and have it marked either with your own makers mark or by using a hallmarking service.
        george
        www.mizgeorge.co.uk
        www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
        www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Originally posted by mizgeorge View Post
          but do you seriously believe you can buy a sterling silver bracelet for 10 dollars?

I can't tell you how many of these imports and fakes I've tested for customers, and not one has ever been sterling, nor would they pass assay office testing.

They're also far too heavy to sell on without having them hallmarked, so you need to either buy ready hallmarked ones in the UK, or buy/make your own and have it marked either with your own makers mark or by using a hallmarking service.

I agree with this completely, if you think you can buy once of these bracelets in sterling silver for $10 then you need to think again, if it sounds to good to be true then it normally is. Just because they say its sterling silver does not mean it is. They will lie and then if you were to complain they would say its a translation error etc.

Probably the cheapest way to get these in sterling is to make the rings yourself and thread them, time consuming i know.

Stu
          Sterling silver jewellery designed and made by Stuart Colclough in Wales.

www.scsilver.co.uk

www.scsilver.blogspot.com

Cymru am Byth.

Comment

Will avoid that then, thanks for the advice.
            Will see if anyone can do links for me as I can't do silversmithing :O

What would be about the right price to pay for it, so I can also be on the lookout?

Gemma x

Comment

You don't need to have any metalsmithing skills to make a sweetie bracelet. You can use either fully round jump rings (they can just be well closed without soldering) or 'bubble' rings like these http://www.dreambell.com/product_inf...oducts_id=2396 (one of the HK suppliers I'd happily recommend). Then either leather thong or elastic depending on the style you prefer.
              george
              www.mizgeorge.co.uk
              www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Thank you for the information, that's really helpful. I didn't realise there was a weight issue requiring items to be hallmarked, what is the maximum weight so that it can be sold without hallmarking?
                Tiny Tots Silver Prints

Silver Fingerprint Jewellery

http://www.facebook.com/TinyTotsSilverPrints

Comment

Anything with silver (or silver and other metal) components weighing more than 7.78g (which is surprisingly little when you actually weigh it) is required by law to be hallmarked if it's sold as sterling silver. Items over that weight can be sold as white metal, but not as sterling.
                  george
                  www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                  www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

If your planning on selling your items, you need to get them hallmarked if the silver content is above 7.78g, it does get spot checked randomly. Nearly all bracelets would be over that weight easily. I feel the advantage of a big selling point of this is hallmarked and stamped with my makers mark out weighs the cost of having it done.

Stu

www.scsilver.co.uk

Cymru am Byth.

Comment

You don't need to have any metalsmithing skills to make a sweetie bracelet. You can use either fully round jump rings (they can just be well closed without soldering) or 'bubble' rings like these http://www.dreambell.com/product_inf...oducts_id=2396 (one of the HK suppliers I'd happily recommend). Then either leather thong or elastic depending on the style you prefer.

Thanks for that. Are the links that they sell already hallmarked? If not how much is it or where would I get it done (I don't work with sterling much at all, only use earring hooks which I buy already stamped and have used chain which wasn't stamped but I'm guessing it isn't easy to hallmark sterling fine chain?)

Comment

Originally posted by gemmaslittletreasures View Post
                        Thanks for that. Are the links that they sell already hallmarked? If not how much is it or where would I get it done (I don't work with sterling much at all, only use earring hooks which I buy already stamped and have used chain which wasn't stamped but I'm guessing it isn't easy to hallmark sterling fine chain?)

Fine chain wouldnt need hallmarking as its unlikely to be over the weight of 7.78grams. You have to contact one of the assay offices, i use birmingham myself, however alot do use london. I post out my items unfinished ie before i set the stones and give a final polish, this way i know no stones will get damaged in transit.

The 925 stamp on your sterling silver ear hooks is enough for these as they weigh less than 7.78grams. But just putting a 925 stamp on items over 7.78grams will not do, it has to be sent away to be tested to check its the correct percentage of silver. If you are sending items with a mix of sterling and plated componenents i am unsure what this involves someone maybe along who knows more about mixed metal assaying.

Any further questions fire away, im fairly knew to this myself and am always learning, although having items assayed is relitively easy and pain free.

Regards

Stu

www.scsilver.co.uk

Cymru am Byth.

Comment

Mizgeorge, are the sterling silver findings on this site confirmed as sterling? You've had some of them assayed? the prices seem reasonable without being to good to be true.

Regards

Stu

www.scsilver.co.uk

Cymru am Byth.

Comment

I've had no problems with this seller. Most of them are silver plated over solid sterling (like most commercial findings as it's cheaper for the manufacturer than pickling and polishing properly) but they've certainly been assay quality. I've also acid tested them randomly, and all have been OK. Dreambell have been around for a long time and have a huge customer base.
                            george
                            www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                            www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Hiya,

I stock these, you can have a look at my website....although Im in the process of having a new one built so sorry it doesnt look so hot at the moment, if there is a particular style u have in mind let me know as I have a huge amount I can put together that isnt on the site.

I did start out buying these items from China but all to often got my fingers burnt with fake silver, after lots of reasearch I string them together myself now, the Silver rings are still imported but I have had them tested in the past to confirm the metal was Silver. Im lucky enough to have a great contact overseas where I used to reside so its not just a email relationship.

Im selling these items at a low price at the moment as I am trying hard to launch my business, enjoy looking - be honest and let me know any questions.

Thanks
                              Kelly

www.sweetpea-designs.co.uk
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X