Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed using sterling silver beads on silver necklace

Hey all

I need your expert advice. Im planning to make a necklace with large silver beads say 8mm i wanted them to go on a sterling silver necklace (just thread them on like a pearl necklace). Do I need to use some kind of stopper like a crimp to stop the beads moving around? would using a crimp damage the necklace? Or will they stay put????

Thanks in advance.

It' a bit unclear what type of necklace you're putting your beads on, but I imagine they will slide, so you would need to use crimp tubes to keep the beads in place if you're wanting the beads to have a 'floating' look.

Make sure the end on the necklace you're using will go through the hole of the beads first.

Debbie
    www.beadservice.net
    On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

What are you threading the beads onto? If you're using beading wire, (7 strand, 21 strand, 49 strand etc) crimps are the right thing to use. You can use crimps on beading chain too, but not on a thread.
      Celia
      I can't be creative and tidy too
      www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
      The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
      Jencel on Facebook

Comment

Thanks for replying

I was planning on using a snake chain 1.9mm in diameter. Would crimps still be the right thing to use?

Comment

I don't think crimps would work well with snake chain. Are they the pandora style beads? I think you can get some beads that lock into place along the chain.
          Celia
          Jencel on Facebook

Comment

I wouldn't crimp onto a snake chain. You might look at using a couple of stopper beads (which have a ring of silicone inside to stop them sliding), but they may be difficult to thread, depending on how your chain is finished, and whether you have the ability/facility to solder a new chain end on if necessary.
            george
            www.mizgeorge.co.uk
            www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
            www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Originally posted by jencel View Post
              I don't think crimps would work well with snake chain. Are they the pandora style beads? I think you can get some beads that lock into place along the chain.
              @ Jencel They are round sterling silver beads???

What type of chain would you all suggest??? Im quite new to jewellery making but have been given this project by a friend....so its a real learning experience for me....sorry for all the questions....

she wants them on a chain and i was just conscious of the beads moving i'd prefer them to stay put. Mizgeorge i have done some soldering before but not really confident so i think stopper beads may not be the answer if i have to finish the chain myself???

all suggestions are welcome...thanks again guys

Comment

Beading chain would work. There's a photo here of how it looks, with a 6mm bead.

I hope that helps.
                Celia
                Jencel on Facebook

Comment

Thanks Jencel that looks like the answer!!!

Comment

You're welcome !
                    Celia
                    Jencel on Facebook

Comment

Hi

I do bead weaving, looking for new ideas, if there is someone who is engaged in the same will be glad to get acquainted

if someone wants to try post the archive of the schemes
                      email me)

depositfiles dot com/files/rb2wo7z44

Comment

I hve put crimps on a snake chain before. It's possible but you have to be extremely careful as you could easily damage the chain.

Comment

Working...
                        X