Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help using cabochons!

Hi there!

Was just wondering if any of you could help me?

I've found some really pretty vintage cabochons that I'd like to use as either earrings or possibly as pendants.

The problem is I have no idea how to use them! What I mean is, I can't work out how to attach them to anything. I've had a look for mounts for them but because they're odd shapes (tear drops and hearts) I can't find any.

I was wondering if anyone had a solution? I was wondering if there was anyway of making a hole? Or would this ruin it? Or is there some kind of finding with a link attached I could buy to glue it to?

Thanks!!

Lou Lou's Luxuries on Folksy

MonkeyLouLou's Blog

Facebook Fan Page

Tweet Tweet (twitter)

Sorry cant think of any findings. you could always make some out of fimo. You dont say how big they are.

Not much help am I? never mind some else will be along soon....Thats the thing with this forum, there is always someone who has the perfect answer...
    Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

ooooh size might help!

The heart shape ones are 11x10mm and the tear drop 37x22mm

MonkeyLouLou's Blog

Facebook Fan Page

Tweet Tweet (twitter)

Comment

They are not calibrated sizes so even if you find the right shape of mounts, I doubt anything will fit. What I would probably do, (assuming they are not semi-precious stones) is make a flat disc out of silver, as large or as small as necessary and solder a ring to the top so you can then stick it to the stone and hang it from whatever you want. Obviously this is only any good if you have access to soldering equipment!
        www.silverrainbowjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by teallach View Post
          They are not calibrated sizes so even if you find the right shape of mounts, I doubt anything will fit. What I would probably do, (assuming they are not semi-precious stones) is make a flat disc out of silver, as large or as small as necessary and solder a ring to the top so you can then stick it to the stone and hang it from whatever you want. Obviously this is only any good if you have access to soldering equipment!
          They're not semi-precious but I have no idea how to make a disc out of silver! I'm still very new to jewellery making and am more a 'put things together to make something pretty' than make something from scratch kinda girl.

I really want to use them! I've seen some similar ones which people have used and they seem to have put a hole through them....any ideas how to do this???

Thanks!!!

MonkeyLouLou's Blog

Facebook Fan Page

Tweet Tweet (twitter)

Comment

Silver discs

Cooksons sell silver discs, and if you can abrade the bach of the stone, then you could use super glue, or a resin based glue

Tim
            Tim Broughton

http://bridgewaterjewelleryworkshops.co.uk/default.aspx

Comment

LouLou?.....how about a picture of them, maybe the collective creative minds of this board could throw a few ideas out there on how to fix the problem ?

Comment

Originally posted by Valarium View Post
                LouLou?.....how about a picture of them, maybe the collective creative minds of this board could throw a few ideas out there on how to fix the problem ?

Ok! Here is a pic of the heart shape ones:

www myvintagecharms.com/cabochons/popcab29 .htm

Thanks everyone!!

(please take out the spaces, I haven't made enough posts to do links yet!)

MonkeyLouLou's Blog

Facebook Fan Page

Tweet Tweet (twitter)

Comment

Settings of all sizes are available if you know how to search for them. Also, cabochons can be beaded around and these produce jewellery items a million miles better than cabs set in plain settings.

Mod edit - selling.
                  Last edited by removed10; 30-05-2011, 01:27 PM.
                  www.rosebudlia.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X