Head Pins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Pins

Why are some head pins so hard to bend into shape ? My fingers are so sore.

You've got good 'uns! Be grateful! If I get cheap ones I use them as links rather than headpins, sore fingers?.............you do use pliers do you?

Comment

yes I do, but when you bend the wire sideways over the bead I use my thumb nail to lean the wire and pliers to make the loop.

Comment

Ah, that explains it! I use the tip of long nose pliers to bend over the bead then round nose to loop. Do you leave 3-5mm from the bead to the bend? It gives you room to get the pliers in!

Comment

About that, would rather the wire was too long so I can snip bits off than too short and have to start again

Comment

No, I meant from the top of the bead where the wire comes out, don't bend flat to the bead, but leave 3-5mm before bending at right angles and then looping.

Comment

Sorry no I bend it left to the top of the bead

Comment

Try a thimble..................

Comment

You can get hard pins, usually about 28 gauge metal and soft pins that are about 21 gauge, at least thats what I have and the 21 are much easier to bend.

The only thing I find is depending on what I am making the 21 gauge can be too soft and the 28 really hard to bend.

Francesca
                  www.silverthistlebeads.com

Over 389 watch faces at any one time and a large selection of bali beads, Swarovski slider spacers and crystals etc.

Comment

I use an old metal thimble that ive bent into a point..saves sore fingers and nails!

Comment

It depends on the thickness of the head pin and what the base metal is.

I sell both 0.7mm and 0.5mm diameter pins, which are from Beadalon, with real 'silver plating' and easy to use.

I know what you mean though...when I first started making, I used some cheap head pins. They were really tough to bend and I ended up with grooves in my thumb nails.

Debbie
                      www.beadservice.net
                      On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Working...
                      X