Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

working out what each piece costs to make... and website reviews...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working out what each piece costs to make... and website reviews...

Hi all

I'm trying to work out what each item costs me to make and I'm having real problems finding the best / easiest way to keep track of it.

So far I have broken down each category of items I have bought ie jump rings, glass pearls etc, worked out how much I've paid for them and divided it by how many there are, which is the easy bit. What I'm struggling with is the excel spreadsheet I've created where I list how many of each component I use in a piece, because as the list of components grows, unfortunately the spreadsheet can only allow a certain amount of columns which causes problems.

I'm sure there must be an easier way of doing this but I can't put my finger on it - can anyone help me or would mind sharing how they do it (I don't mind if you want to pm me instead of sharing on here) but all help would be really gratefull as I'm sure my prices are too high and want to lower them based on what I spend out.

also, would people mind checking out my website and give me feedback on it and the prices?

Thanks
    Gemma xx

I don't know if this will help but I tend to keep the findings I buy in little sealy bags and write on the price per clasp or whatever. Or you could make a price list of them all and keep it updated, as a reference. Then in my costing spreadsheet I just have a column for findings and enter the total price of the findings I've used in that piece.

I list the pieces I make down the left and across the page have headings like silver cost, stones, findings, hallmarking, box, time, etc, and the right formulae to work out the final totals. So all I have to do is enter the values for each component I've used/time I've taken and it does the rest.

It seems to work!

Emily
    x
    Emily Richard Jewellery
    www.ejr-jewellery.co.uk

Emily Richard Jewellery on Facebook

Now on Twitter! @EmilyRichard
    Jewellery Making Blog

Comment

I used a piece of software called Bead Manager Pro, I list what I have bought, how many parts for how much and it works out the cost of each componenent, either by highest price, average price etc

Then when you make a piece, you tell it how many of whatever and it works out the cost price, you can also add your hourly rate to it, (and of course how long it took) and it will work out 3 prices for you, one at 2 1/2 times the cost, one at 3 times and one at 5 times the cost, and tell you the profit at each price range (roughly they are wholesale, what you would use for sale or return, and direct sale price)

Plus it keeps track of what you have, what you have sold, made etc, and you can add pictures to it.

It was definately worth it.
      www.jos-beaded-designs.com

Comment

With my makiing hat on I do it on paper. I keep a 'recipe' book. Every new thing I try is costed on a page per thing...with drawings and specs and anything else I need to reproduce it.
        Then my selling hat goes on and I do some doubling, tripling or quadrupling and settle on a price.
        A lot of my stuff is individual but after settling on an initial price I stick with it ...so plain coifs, no matter what the shape, cost £20. All tall hats, no matter what style cost £30. You want decoration? A lace edging? Add £5. A pretty hat band, add £5. A jewel, add £5 (I get them from charity shops ). So some things I make more profit on than others but it makes my life easy when quoting prices.
        I micro managed things at the begining but I use broad strokes now......but I have been doing my Annie the Pedlar thing long enough to know my rivals' prices, gaps in the market, and how much most of my customers are willing to fork out for something......
        AnnieAnna
        www.anniethepedlar.com

Comment

Hi Gemma,
          I've had a look at your website. It's nice and clear and easy to use. The enlarged image loads quickly too, which is good.

Your prices are very reasonable too.

One thing I noticed was when I looked at your Ordering page, and wondered if you could put a Buy button on each item, instead of people downloading a form? It's the way customers are used to buying, and I think the more accessible you can make your site the better.
          Celia
          I can't be creative and tidy too
          www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
          The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
          Jencel on Facebook

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies, all the information has all been really useful and i can use bits of all of it.

Delta: where do you buy your bead manager pro from, as it all seems to be in american? I just tried jewellery calculator free and that is only in dollars :O

Celia: thanks for the website feedback, as soon as i have more finds i will be changing the website to e-commerce to make it easier for everyone (including me lol) but its good to hear that my prices and layout are ok

xx

Comment

As a general rule I've heard most people charge the cost of the components, x 2, plus an hourly rate. Some people charge £8-£10 phr, others a lot more, depending on how skilled they are, plus you need to work out how long it took to make the jewellery. I use excel for my database and am in the process of completely updating it, as I haven't added to it in a year !!! I don't keep it on-line, as that could obviously be hacked into, but keep mine on a 'dongle', which I regularly scan for viruses.

Hope that helps.

I forgot to mention that I thought your website is good, the page is quick to load and that's a very important part of the selling process. ! well done you.!
              Last edited by Petal; 05-01-2010, 12:12 PM.
              Jules x
              A hug a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by gemmaslittletreasures View Post
                Thanks everyone for your replies, all the information has all been really useful and i can use bits of all of it.

Delta: where do you buy your bead manager pro from, as it all seems to be in american? I just tried jewellery calculator free and that is only in dollars :O

Celia: thanks for the website feedback, as soon as i have more finds i will be changing the website to e-commerce to make it easier for everyone (including me lol) but its good to hear that my prices and layout are ok

xx
                It's not American, the guy behind it is actually in Australia, it will work in differenct currencies, and will also allow for tax/vat etc should be you charging it. All mine are in £s. Though for some reason when you see the price for it, its usually in US $, not sure why.

I was on the beta testing team for the newest version, which was only released a couple of weeks ago, it's not the cheapest programe, but I like it, there is a link on the bottom of my links page for it ( http://www.jos-beaded-designs.com/page25.htm ) but that is there as I have joined the affiliate program (have recommended it to a few people, so may as well get some beady pennies for it ), but I am in no way saying you can only order it through that link.

I did a lot of research into the different ones, and preferred the way this one looked, and the fact that it doesn't have different 'levels' of progame swung it for me, you can do invoices, export to spreadsheets, all sorts of things, the newer version even does a profit and loss for you.
                www.jos-beaded-designs.com

Comment

Hi
                  I love the name of your business, very sweet! I have looked at your website and I am no expert at this at all but maybe having a few more pictures would draw people in. The first page could definitely do with some larger piccies of your goodies to draw people in. Your prices probably need to be put up a bit as they seem quite cheap and you don't want people to undervalue your hardwork. I think it's hard when you are starting out, as I am finding at the moment, to value your work at it's correct price as you feel you want to sell it and if you are a starter like me I just want to sell some so it boosts my confidence.
                  Anyway I hope that helps.
                  Many thanks and Good Luck
                  Heidi
                  Heidi Crocker
                  www.trinketsbymoonlight.com

Comment

Bead Manager Pro Jewelry Software

Hi Gemma

Gary here from beading-software.com I saw your post here and the thread on how to help price your jewelry with a few references to our software program Bead Manager Pro.

I thought I would join up just so I could reply to you and make sure that you have all the info you need, but I should say thanks to Jo who has already covered off quite a few things.

Your right, our website is quite American as that is where most of our customers are but we are based in Australia (plays havoc with my spelling, mixing between American and Australian spellings ) and Bead Manager Pro is compatible with any country as far as currency and tax goes as that is all customisable.

We have just upgraded to a new version which Jo was one of our Beta testers and the feedback from our users has been a resounding success.
                    beading-software.com/bead-manager-pro-testimonials/

We have some great new features in Bead Manager Pro version 4.0 including a new pricing calculator which will allow you to work out exactly what your hourly rate should be, something that many people struggle with.

Please feel free to check out our video support section as this shows all the features and how to use them, plus all the videos are kept quite short, mostly under 3-4 minutes (plus if you do purchase a copy you will get a full colour manual)
                    beading-software.com/jewelry-software-support/jewelry-software-video-tutorials/

If you do choose to get a copy then please do feel free to purchase through Jo's link which was at the bottom of her links page here jos-beaded-designs.com/page25.htm, but that's entirely up to you, we're happy which ever way you go.

If you have any direct questions then please feel free to contact me through our support ticket system.
                    beading-software.com/support/

Cheers

Gary
                    Bead Manager Pro Jewelry Software

PS. I had a look at your site as that was part of your initial thread to. I agree with some of the comments. More images would be good of your jewelry and I also think with the writing that you have on your home page which is about you it would be a nice personal touch if you had a picture of yourself so people who visit your site could connect with your visually as well.

Best of luck

PPS sorry none of the links actually work, as a newby I wasnt allowed to put links into a post until I have completed 25 posts so please just copy and paste into your browser to follow any links

Comment

Hi Gary, many thanks for your message, I'm sure it will be of use to many people as well as myself. I will check out the links you've given but from what I have read and seen so far it looks the ideal programme for me. I have so many spreadsheets and bits of paperwork, that to have it all in 1 place would be fab!

Thanks everyone for your comments about my website, I have taken these on board and will work on updating it and hopefully can get your feedback again afterwards.

XX

Comment

Feedback for your website: consider making a logo, which you can use on everything (website, letter heads, business cards, etc).
                        Contact me for wholesale charm beads & bracelets.

Comment

Working...
                        X