Beginner needs help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner needs help please!

This is probably real back to basics stuff, but I'm wondering how easy it would be to construct my own basic chain necklaces to hang a charm onto?

I've been searching about online for ready made ones, I'd ideally like to use sterling silver but I'm finding it difficult to find affordable chains in the length that I'd like to use (about 26 - 30")

Would it work out cheaper to make my own from chain and findings? And is it something a beginner could do?

Also if anyone can recommend an easy tutorial for a basic construction that would be cool. I literally just need to know what's involved ie, It would go clasp, jump ring, chain, jump ring etc! Theres so many different findings I'm getting quite confused and all the tutorials I'm finding are more advanced

Grateful for any help and tips you can offer,
    Sarah x
    http://www.kookizu.com
    Jewellery & Accessories

If you don't want to make a chain from scratch, you could always buy loose chain and make it up with a jump ring each end and a lobster clasp. It's not strictly necessary to solder them on as long as you use chunky jump rings. There are lots of paces to buy loose chain from, ie Cooksons, Rashbel etc.
    Best wishes
    Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

If you cost in your time it's mega more expensive to make your own chain - and incredibly boring.
      Unless your design of each link is way out buy it machine made.
      If all this choosing is too confusing you need a catalogue with pretty photographs in your hand.
      Seach for Walsh, Cooksons, (these two think they are the creme de la creme but have everything - they charged me for their catalogues), Kernocraft and all the bead shops on line and ask them to send you a catalogue in the post.
      You usually get a life sized picture which makes choosing easy.
      AnnieAnna

Comment

Oopsy! See I told you I'm a total beginner, I think I worded my question wrong

I guess I should have said to make a necklace, not a chain.
        I did mean in the way Glitterbug said, buying some ready made loose chain and adding the clasps and jump rings at the end, not making each individual link!

I was just wondering if there are basic tutorials to show how and what kind of clasps and rings etc I would need to add onto the ends of different types of loose chains? (I hope I'm making sense here, probably using all the wrong terms for things!)
        I'm glad to read that I wouldn't necessarily have to solder, that was something I wondered too.

I think getting some catalogues is a really good suggestion AnnieAnna, I'll look into that today. Staring at pages of photos of jump rings that all look the same to me online is probably causing half the confusion

Thanks for the tips ladies!

PS. Glitterbug, I've just been browsing your website. Your jewellery is stunning! Really pretty and gorgeous photographs too - very cool.
        Last edited by Kookizu; 01-12-2009, 10:09 AM.
        Jewellery & Accessories

Comment

Do you know this trick?
          Take your jump ring. Push the two ends apart sideways so there is a little gap. Slide you chain link on. Now squash your jumpring so the two ends overlap a little bit. Put the overlapped bits in your pliers. Squash and they'll be joined back up under tension. You'll need two pliers to get them two ends nicely in line. Master that, and while not as good as soldering, it's good enough.

I'd then say buy small quantities of differnt sized jump rings and types of clasp. Try them out and see which you like the best.
          You'll probably find different ones will suit different styles of necklaces.

For a book - go online and seach those beady websites (and Kernocraft (upmarket ) and Fred Aldous (down market ) and they'll be selling how to books.

Keep krafting
          AnnieAnna

Comment

Hi

We have a free catalogue, which has photos in actual size of chains, which will make it easy to choose the right one... click here to request a catalogue - FREE!

Otherwise you can see all our chains here - loose chain sold by the meter, necklets in 40cm / 45cm / 50cm / 55cm (which might be what your looking for? and 19cm bracelets. Its probably easier if you buy ready made necklets if you can get the right length, but it would also be very easy to put together your own chain - just buy a length of chain, attach a jump ring to one end (5mm should be ok) and a bolt ring to the other. All you would need in the way of tools to do this would be a pair of snipe or flat nose pliers to open and close the jump ring and loop on the bolt ring. This is the technique you should use for opening and closing jump rings: http://www.kernowcraft.com/jewellery...ng-jump-rings/ (sorry if you already know this! but sometimes people try to open them by pulling them apart, which will destort the shape.

If you need any help to choose the right items or don't quite know where to start, don't hesitate to give us a call here, the girls are more than happy to help you choose the right thing for your project.

Hope this helps...

Hannah
            WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
            Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't solder the jump rings, I like to have a break point in a piece, so that if it gets caught, it will break before it injures the wearer, I usually do this with the jump ring that attaches the clasp, so at least the piece stays in one piece and doesn't have all the beads falling off, and it's simple enough to replace a jump ring.
              www.jos-beaded-designs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kernowcraft View Post
                Hope this helps...

Hannah

You're a star, thank you!
                I was looking at your site the other day after finding this forum actually, it's great. I've had it bookmarked and your techniques and advice pages are really helpful!
                I got distracted looking at the Precious Metal Clay page, that stuff looks interesting - and I can't believe you stock the silicone moulding putty, you wouldn't believe the trouble I had tracking some of that down a few weeks ago.

And Delta, that's a good point!

Ooh the postman has just bought me some cheap silver plated findings I ordered to practice with so I'll use a few of your tips and see how I get on

Thanks again all, some great info x
                Jewellery & Accessories

Comment

Thanks AnnieAnna for your kind words and also really pleased to hear that you like our website Kookizu! If there are any other techniques or advice that you think we should include on the Kernowcraft website do let me know and we'll add it....

The moulding compound / putty for using with precious metal clay is great, we recently made some lovely textured moulds from a sea urchin shell which worked really well!

Hope you enjoy your jewellery making and find the right chains for your project.

All the best

Hannah x
                  WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
                  Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

We sell Stelring Silver chain by the inch, and obviously buying it this way gives you the most flexibility in length.

To give you an idea on the size of clasp you need, most of the ready made Sterling Silver chains we sell have either 6mm Bolt Rings/Spring rings or 8mm Lobster clasps.

The ready made chains have a soldered end cap on them, but there's no reason why you couldn't use a jump ring. I'd recommend a 0.8mm wire thickness if you were using a jump ring though.

Debbie
                    www.beadservice.net
                    On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Working...
                    X