X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stud Earrings

Hi all,

I have never made stud earrings.

I am making a pearl bracelet for a bride and they have asked for stud pearl earrings.

I need them in sterling silver with light creamrose swarovski pearl.

Could someone tell me the best place to get the pieces from and how best to make them. I am assuming glue of some sort?!

Thanks for your help.

Hiya

The way I would make them is using a french ball stud, which has a drop to it, putting the beads on a headpin and attaching it that way. I always use 3 pearls and 2 x 2.5mm silver spacer beads, which look very elegant.

I get my supplies from ebay, pearls from bookee235 (they come from overseas so take about 2 weeks) as they are cheaper than buying from UK.

Hope that helps, and enjoy!

Gemma

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I will take a look at that ebay site.

I need earrings that aren't drop studs on a headpin as I have made these before.

The client just wants a stud earring with a pearl on the end, no drop at all....

Comment

You just need to get a couple of half drilled pearls (swarovski shape 5817) and some sterling peg cup fittings and yes, a drop of glue (bead fix is good for this).

You do need to let these dry properly - I tend to just pop the post into a blob of plasticine or blu tack to keep them upright.

pearls: http://www.beadsandcrystals.co.uk//c...prod_3333.html

fittings: http://www.kernowcraft.com/products/...-silver-SF162/
        Last edited by mizgeorge; 27-11-2009, 09:05 PM.
        george
        www.mizgeorge.co.uk
        www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
        www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Thanks, that is great!

The links you supplied are for 6mm earrings but 8mm beads - is that right?

Comment

The 'pad' needs to be smaller than the actual pearl, but I would contact kernowcraft to be absolutely certain of getting a perfect fitting as I believe the swarovski half drilled pearls are flat backed rather than round.
            george
            www.mizgeorge.co.uk
            www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
            www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Hi

(Thanks for the recommendation George.)

Yes we do have sterling silver stud earrings for half drilled pearls, these are available for a 4mm bead or a 6mm bead. But like George said you will want the cup to be slightly smaller than the pearl so it looks neat - these are designed like this so they should be fine, but if you do want to order from us - just ask us to check that the pearls are a good fit for you.

Sometimes you might need to cut down the peg slightly to get a good fit - but this can just be done with a pair of side cutters very easily.

The glue we would recommend would be devcon 5 minute epoxy - which is very very strong, and dries very quickly. George's tip about standing the earring up in blu-tak is a good idea too.

Here is a link to all our half drilled pearls - http://www.kernowcraft.com/products/...rilled-pearls/

These are really nice quality freshwater and cultured pearls, and are natural shades varying from white to creamy coloured. We can choose matching pairs for you if you request this.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes

Hannah
              WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
              Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

Working...
              X