Crimping pliers -which do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crimping pliers -which do you prefer?

We have recently started stocking the new 'magical crimping pliers', which the staff here love, as they have found them really easy to use. I also think they work really well and are very neat - its nice that they form the crimp into a neat little bead - as it blends in with your design rather than still looking like a crimp. But what do you think: Do you prefer the two step crimping pliers or the magical ones?

I guess a lot of it is down to personal preference but would love to hear some feedback about which style you prefer and any hints or tips you have discovered for using either style!

2 step crimping pliers

or

magical crimping pliers

Which gets your vote?

Thanks

Hannah
    Magical Crimping Pliers
    62.50%
    2 Step Crimping Pliers
    37.50%

The poll is expired.

WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
    Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

I voted for 2-step pliers as they are the only kind I've used and never felt the need to change to something else !
    One tip is to invest in a good quality pair - I tried a few cheap pairs and could never get them to work properly and once I got a good pair I realised just how quality can make a difference to the finished crimp.

Another tip is to make sure that your crimps all fold in the same direction on the necklace wire - it looks much nicer especially when you are doing illusion or floating pieces which use a lot of crimps!

Louise
    x

Comment

i would say the 2 step but thats because i have them. I would love to try the magical but find the price off putting if i dont like them i've wasted about £13

Comment

I use both, and each has its place, but for finished appearance, the magical ones every time.
        george
        www.mizgeorge.co.uk
        www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
        www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Thats a good tip Louise about crimping the illusion necklaces and keeping the crimps folded in the same direction. Though the magical ones work really well for this as they form a neat little bead.
          WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

I have not used my two step crimpers since I bought the magical ones. They look so neat and they don't scratch at all. I am even thinking of getting the mini magical crimpers as well, so I can use thinner thread.
            I always use sterling crimp tubes on everything, even SP necklaces as they are only a few pence each and so don't really affect the price.
            You have to be careful to make sure the crimp is in the hole properly when you turn it for the second crimp so it doesn't squash unevenly, and I always squash them 5 or 6 times while moving the crimp round in the gap.

Melanie

Comment

Thats a really good point Melanie about the crimps not being scratchy with the magical crimping pliers (as it makes a smooth bead) - as when crimps are just squashed flat they can be quite scratchy on your skin - I hadn't really thought about that being a good point - I just prefered the way they look!
              WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

can you use the magical on sp? or does it have to be sterling silver?

Comment

You do need to use the right sized crimps, so that they will form into the round bead shape - these are the crimps to use: http://www.kernowcraft.com/products/...s-2x2mm-SF179/ Which are sterling silver and 2x2mm. I'm not sure if you can use silver plated crimps or not, but if you wanted to try them, make sure you get the correct size....
                  WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

I know people who do use SP with the magical ones but some crimps can be a bit brittle or hard so they don't work as well and you could end up trying several different ones to get ones that work ok. The sterling ones are slightly softer and always work ok so I think they are worth it.

Melanie

Comment

I have never seen these before. They look interesting!
                      As far as SP crimps go the best ones I have found are from Beads Unlimited.
                      They seem to take any ammount of abuse and squeezing, most others split far too easily
                      Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

www.thechildrensjewellerycompany.co.uk

Comment

So far the votes are in favour of the magical crimping pliers.....

Anyone else want to vote for their choice?
                        WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

Trouble is Hannah, all those voting for the magical version are those who have tried both, those who like the conventional haven't tried the others
                          george
                          www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                          www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
                          www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Good point George! Hadn't really thought about it like that, lol...
                            x
                            WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

Working...
                            X