What glue to use for jewellery making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What glue to use for jewellery making

Hi, hope someone can help me with this...

I have been using a 6mm Pendant Crimp Bail & Loop pinch bail on a 10mm Swarovski heart, and am a bit concerned that it doesn't meet in the middle when I close it. Is there a glue that I can use in the hole to get it to stay in one place and to secure it, but that won't damage the crystal?

Many thanks

Gemma

Hiya Gemma,

I use E600 glue which is pretty strong. - Once you fix something into place you do have to leave it for about 24 hours before its totally secure.

Its a pretty smelly glue and should be used in a well ventilated space.

I'm not sure if it will damage the crystal or not. I can't imagine it would but its worth looking it up to see.

If you're doing fiddly stuff with this glue I would recommend also using a cocktail stick for application as the glue tube isn't very accurate.

I hope that helps!

Lilly Tea

Comment

Sounds good!

Lilly, I'd not heard of E600 before, googled it, looks good! Thank you.

I was going to say '2 part epoxy' is your friend; I use quick set, clear dry araldite all the time, just brilliant. Then I noticed that Wilkinson (I just love that shop!) do an own brand epoxy that is a third the price of araldite and every bit as good.

For tricky spaces, I use G-S Hypo Cement. I understand that it's a member of the superglue family and as such, not recommended for sticking foil coated Swarovski (it can dissolve the coating).

Comment

Thank you for the replies, they have really helped and i will deffo look to see which is the best to use.

I haven't heart of foil coated swarovski before, so i hope that mine are just normal crystals

Also, with the 2 part epoxy, does it involve mixing, cos i haven't heard of it before?

Thanks again,
        Gemma

Comment

Working...
        X