Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pliers recommendations

Hi everyone!
    I am looking to replace my jewellery pliers which are getting a bit worn. Can anyone recommend any that are comfortable to use please. I'm not sure what they're called, a short long nose plier (that's a contadiction!!!)

Thanks!

Helena xx

lol. Can't help sorry, just had a little giggle at your description I've had a try at making a charm bracelet and there are some really uncomfortable pliers, handle too big or too long, pinching the inside of between your thumb and finger (ouch!), or ones that don't have enough of a spring or too much that you find yourself struggling to hold on without the beads and pin flying somewhere! Yep, I'm totally new to it but I'd love to find some nice comfy, small, dinky, useable pliers myself too...at the least to be able to finish off my one bracelet!
    Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

I'm guessing you mean snipe nosed as they are the most common flat pliers. I don't particularly like the ones that have springs as I find it harder to mantain the pressure to keep them closed. Apart from that, all I can suggest is not to buy the cheapest ones you find as the quality does make a huge difference Try Cooksons for a range of diiferent priced options.
      www.silverrainbowjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Our jewellery pliers are very comfortable to use, they have foam covered handles in a funky striped pattern, and are very good quality for the price, these are the pliers I use for all my jewellery making and I find them a good size, comfortable to hold - certainly no bits that pinch your fingers or hand!! These are available in round nose, flat nose and snipe nose (also called half round or chain nose) styles. Personally I find it useful to have two pairs of snipe nose pliers and a round nose pair. I prefer using the snipe nose to flat nose, as the narrow end makes them good for lots of different jobs and getting into small spaces etc...

These pliers also come in a pack which makes them cheaper than buying separately, the pack is a very popular option with customers.

We also have some high quality precision pliers that are exceptional quality and swiss made. If you prefer to go for the best quality and use them a lot you might prefer these. However the standard pliers we sell are very good as well and I think you would be happy with the quality. Of course if you do buy some and they are not what you expected or you don't like them, it is no problem to return them.

Hope that helps!

Hannah
        WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
        Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

Do you have them in pink?! No, only teasing...they look just the job, especially the pack which I am going to show to my oh. I watched a clip showing opening and closing jump rings and the lady used 2 pliers to push and pull to open it...would I need to get an extra one of ? plier to do this technique. I've tried the holding the ring with finger and thumb and using just one plier and it hurts Perhaps i need to ask for a book for Christmas too before I go any further! What do you think of them Helena?
          Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Not in pink yet, though we did get a sample of mini pink pliers that were quite cute!

You can see how to open and close jump rings here with two pairs of snipe nose pliers. This is the method I prefer to use, personally I find it easier than using a jump ring mate - although we do sell a LOT of jump ring mates and a lot of people prefer this way, so I guess it is down to what suits you best and what you find easier. I think I just find it easier to control with two pliers, and also if you are hanging several charms or wire wrapped beads on to a jump ring, with two pairs of pliers it is easier to keep the jump ring the right way up....
            WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I've just looked at your links Kernowcraft. I'm still a bit confused (it's been a long week!) Are the first ones snipe nose (the more pointed ones) and the last picture flat nose (squarer looking? ). They look very funky and comfortable to use.

Helena xx

Comment

beadservice has a nice selection, very fast delivery as well

Comment

Originally posted by helena View Post
                  Thanks for the responses, I've just looked at your links Kernowcraft. I'm still a bit confused (it's been a long week!) Are the first ones snipe nose (the more pointed ones) and the last picture flat nose (squarer looking? ). They look very funky and comfortable to use.

Helena xx
                  Yes the first cameo image is the snipe nose pliers - you can see they have a tapering point, so that you can get into fiddly gaps or between beads easily, the flat nose pliers are much wider at the end - these are good for opening jump rings and if you need a wider gripping surface. (I usually just use the snipe nose for opening and closing jump rings... all personal preference though...)
                  WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

while we are on tools and pliers, I bought some mid range price cutters the other week and not that impressed with them really, the tips wont cut anything, you need to get further up to cut, which is a bit annoying for me as i often have to get in close and cut.

http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/Tools/...ter-11093.aspx

anyone any suggestions for better ones?
                    www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

I've never had a problem with Beadsmith pliers, they're not the cheapest in the world, but they are very reasonably priced for the quality IMO.

I'm still on my 1st pair of flat nose/side cutter pliers from them and they still cut very well and havn't 'notched' at all on the edges!! The round nose ones I'm on my 3rd pair I think, but admittedly I'm a bit of an animal with these and also use them for bending memory wire, and they have been thrown across the room one more than one occasion - no fault of the pliers, just me not being able to do something!

Claire
                      Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                      Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                      www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

If you're cutting memory wire - which is incredibly tough - stainless steel, then it is a good idea to use some heavy duty cutters like these as they are made of very tough steel and won't be damaged by the memory wire, whereas most jewellery snips will end up getting notches on the blades because they are not designed for using with stainless steel ...
                        WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

anyone any suggestions for better ones?
                          How about these?

http://www.kernowcraft.com/products/...-cutters-C123/
                          WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

are they yours by any chance??
                            www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

Yep! Sorry for the shameless plug, but they are pretty good cutters and we haven't had any complaints about them. I know what you mean about needing to get in close between beads to cut ends after crimping, so the blades do need to meet well, especially for cutting fine thread or wire...
                              WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

Working...
                              X