X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request?

I've been looking everywhere!
    I LOVE this 2 finger ring but it's £50 with P+P so i was wondering if it would be make-able to anyone here? Or if anyone knows where or who i could ask?

This is the link to the store that sells them. MOD EDIT - URL REMOVED TO SAVE COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or not allowed.
    Last edited by Peter; 16-11-2009, 07:53 PM.

One word...................COPYRIGHT!!!!!
    Designers have to make a living as well, and copyright laws are high on the agenda for Etsy designers and self representing artists. If you want a cheap version of something wait a while and it'll be in Primark.
    We are a craft forum, full of craftsmen and women, who make crafts, hopefully not cheap ripoffs. Sorry, but you hit a nerve - which most of us who have been copied have.

Comment

Uhm, okay.

I wasn't going to ask for the same design, and i've seen the same design on a UK kitsch site not long ago and now i can't find it so i didn't think it was "copyrighted". But, okay.

Comment

You could start another thread asking if someone could create 'something similar'. While I appreciate what Pete's saying, removing a link to something isn't going to protect its copyright- it's out in the public domain anyhow for anyone to copy (at their own risk) should the fancy take them. I posted a similar thread the other day with no intentions of copying the item but in fact hoping to create 'something similar' myself using totally different methods and techniques.
        Last edited by nickie1105; 16-11-2009, 08:32 PM.

Comment

a. It isn't 'pete'.
          b. I can quote you literally hundreds of designers who would have said the same thing as I did.
          c. Some of us have to make a living out of this.
          d. Starting another thread is not really good advice to a new member is it? How long do you think it would take for that member to become unpopular because of your advice?
          e. I cannot believe you said this! 'it's out in the public domain anyhow for anyone to copy (at their own risk) should the fancy take them'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            a. It isn't 'pete'.
            b. I can quote you literally hundreds of designers who would have said the same thing as I did.
            c. Some of us have to make a living out of this.
            d. Starting another thread is not really good advice to a new member is it? How long do you think it would take for that member to become unpopular because of your advice?
            e. I cannot believe you said this! 'it's out in the public domain anyhow for anyone to copy (at their own risk) should the fancy take them'
            a. Pardon me for not being perfect and missing out a letter at the end of a word PETER! Apologies for the offence that was obviously taken!

b. Everybody who publishes their work on the internet or via any other outlet runs the risk of it being copied- despite saying the same thing as you did. Although copying designs is not in any way shape or form right, it is however FACT that this happens regardless!

c. I make a living from design too (albeit in a different area) and have to make a living out of it too.

d. How can a member become unpopular from my advice? Are you suggesting this member doesn't have a mind of his/her own? Suggesting they repost in a more appropriate way is not bad advice- there are ways of wording things which don't constitute copying which is what appears to have got your heckles up to start with.

e. As I said earlier, anyone who publishes their work on the internet risks their work being copied (at the copiers own risk)! Again, this is FACT, so please believe I 'said this'. It is out in the public domain and therefore anyone can copy it if the fancy takes them...I never said this was legal and hence the bracketed term 'at their own risk'!
            Last edited by nickie1105; 16-11-2009, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Thats worrying, as a lot of designers put their work on a website / public domain but don't want people to use their work as inspiration and want to make a profit from their ideas.
              There are projects in magazines that give people a license to copy or make similar.

Law: 'Similar' is included as copying. It doesnt have to be a complete copy.

In my non legal opinion copying is as bad as theft.
              Last edited by RenataHarris; 16-11-2009, 09:09 PM.
              http://www.justgiving.com/renata-harris (1/2 marathons for World Society for the Protection of Animals)
              http://flashsparkle.blogspot.com Vegan cookery

Comment

Nope...you're right I can't...my own work is copyright as I made it, that is not to say it won't be copied no matter what I do to protect it. Likewise, if I copy somebody elses work then I can expect to be sued for breach of copyright or trademark infingement.

Someone creating something similar however which has 5 or more changes to the design (however small) is sufficient for a copy to be deemed different enough from the original to render a copyright useless when compared with the copy. It seems you have some reading to do before telling somebody what they already know...You obviously aren't listening or reading my posts properly or you too would understand that I haven't said anything unlawful or even given bad advice.

Comment

Originally posted by RenataHarris View Post
                  Thats worrying, as a lot of designers put their work on a website / public domain but don't want people to use their work as inspiration and want to make a profit from their ideas.
                  There are projects in magazines that give people a license to copy or make similar.

Law: 'Similar' is included as copying. It doesnt have to be a complete copy.

In my non legal opinion copying is as bad as theft.

'Copying' is replicating something in every way and you're right when you say it is theft. 'Similar' however is not the same as 'copying' in that you are not replicating something, rather you are creating something that may look like the original but is not the same i.e. has 5 or more design differences which cannot be compared to the original.

Comment

Can I suggest we all take a minute to calm down?

I can see both sides of this argument - as a provider I am entitled to action if someone copies my work and passes it off as their own, but at the same time if I see a design of something I like, I can ask a craftsman/woman to make something for me.

What she asked is what people having been asking for years - but she did ask if someone on this forum (who is presumably trying to make a living) could make her something to her own satisfaction. I also presume that the skilled person who did this would take her original idea and produce something along those lines but with their own flair. This cannot be called stealing - this is called progress. Only a duplicate (exact in every way) can be called stealing.

Think of catwalk - to paper pattern, or red-carpet hair-do to local salon cut.

It is only polite to get people's names right - and how they sign themselves here is how I expect to address them (if you call me Judy I won't reply!). Having said that, people these days (and I'm not just talking about the forum here) rarely check to see what they have entered is spelt correctly or grammatically correct so a little tolerance goes a long way. I frequently have to put a little line at the end saying "by the way, it's Judith not Judy - just my preference" which always produces an "oops sorry".

Right - let's move on to something important. What does everyone want for Christmas???!!

Judith
                    www.happysheepdesigns.com

Photographic cards, prints and gifts, and hand-knitted/crocheted accessories and clothing

www.busyted.co.uk

Home of Busy Ted! Also find him on Twitter @busytedstuff and on Facebook

Comment

It's interresting as I think you can be shown new directions - like twisting silver etc, but recreating something to save money i dont see it as design prrogress.

Infringement-It need not be IDENTICAL, merely to copy a 'substantial part' of the work. This is based on the overall 'quality' of the design not the quantity of copied parts.
                      There is a presumption of copying if the works are 'substantially similar' and you had access to seeing the image. It would then be for you to dispprove copying.

Though im not experienced I did copyright on the LPC, and Peter is an experienced designer so I am certain has done his reading!

Dont celebrate christmas haha sorry

I do want lots of nice soap though, even though people say they never want bath stuff
                      http://www.justgiving.com/renata-harris (1/2 marathons for World Society for the Protection of Animals)
                      http://flashsparkle.blogspot.com Vegan cookery

Comment

So why dont we just rephrase the first post as;

Ive seen a two finger ring that i love, Is there anyone who can make me a ring in this style (ie two finger) at an affordable price (£50 is out of my rice range)

and as for the name thing, i would be likely to type pete instead of peter . . . . same as judith would likely get called judit - my keyboard is 'sticky' and quite often misses letters out!! Maybe it wasnt intentional, the telling off did seem a little harsh!

Not even gonna get into the copyright debate . . . i get both sides of it completely - and happily work for a company that encourage us to CASE (Copy And Share Everything) with most people having the common decency to credi to the original designer. The way they see it is before someone has a chance to steal your work, get one over on them and give it away!! As has been said, if its out there on the net, there are unscrupulous people who wont think twice about copying it without giving credit to the designer or taking notice of any copyright notices, so wrong but it happens and the fact it does cant be ignored!

Now for christmas . . . . how long have you got! lol!
                        Jo

Independent Stampin' Up! Demo in Nuneaton, Warwickshire

Visit my Blog, & My Gallery (on this site)

Comment

Jo - you won't believe it, but as I write my 'th' in a funny way, most people do think it's Juditt and ask am I German?!!

I'm with you on the share thing - I used to teach Copyright, Designs & Patent Act with respect to IT and it's a minefield

Right - better stop wandering around the Forum and do the washing up!!

Judith
                          www.happysheepdesigns.com

Photographic cards, prints and gifts, and hand-knitted/crocheted accessories and clothing

www.busyted.co.uk

Home of Busy Ted! Also find him on Twitter @busytedstuff and on Facebook

Comment

I do think some people are being rather petty when I think most people read the original post as I am looking for something in a similar style rather than I want a direct copy of this.

I would also suspect a lot of people are guilty are copying without realising. There are only so many ideas and designs for any craft. Also how many magazines, websites, fairs, shops has everyone looked at. I bet many a person has been playing around at their chosen craft and come up with something they think unique not even realising that the idea may have been at the back of there brain from something they have seen months or years before. It may not be totally the same but it may still be similar and that person would not even realised they were guilty of copyright,

Hey ho theres my tuppance worth, and I dont mind what name I get as long as it sort of polite.
                            www.babybearcreations.co.uk - handmade stationery and cards

www.buggable.weebly.com - personalised t-shirts and clothing, work wear and hen and stag t-shirts.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, it would appear we have a super petty moderator here- he's even edited my signature stating 'advertising another forum is not allowed' as his reason even though this relates to general business advice which would be beneficial to the forums members. He's even taken out my other link which had nothing to do with 'other forums'. Seems he has a fair bit of editing to do then given that almost everyone is advertising their sites in their signatures lol- one rule for all eh!
                              Last edited by nickie1105; 16-11-2009, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X