Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill for silver work

Hi

Could anyone help me regarding advice for buying a small drill (or kit) for approx 1 mm thick silver work. I want to drill a hole at the top of a triangle shape earring and the silver is approx 0.8mm thick. Perhaps a kit that also does other things too - many thanks.

BeWe

The drill I use none stop is a model makers/hobby one.
    Mine is a Minicraft one but I see Dremel in the shops now.
    I know them as mini drills.
    You can buy different attachments as and when you need them.
    I have the drill in the stand for 99% of what I do but you can take it out and attach polishing things etc.
    You can buy sets of fine drill bits from proper jeweller tool shops like Walshes or Cooksons or from electronic shops like Maplins.
    I find I use (and beak) one size over and over so buy a boxful of this one size from Walshes every year.
    AnnieAnna

Comment

Hi

The Dremel is a really good multitool - as you can use it for drilling, detailed sanding, carving, engraving, cutting, grinding, cleaning & polishing, if you are serious about jewellery making this is pretty invaluable, we have two versions - one with 25 accessories and one that costs a little more with 55 accessories and a flexible shaft, this is sooooo good for using for jewellery as it enables precise, detailed work particularly in hard to reach places & makes it much more comfortable to use and give you fingertip control.

If you are not sure that you want to spend out too much or would actually need such a comprehensive peice of equiptment, you can just use a hand drill for the sort of thing you described. We have two hand drills - both of which are easy to use and cost a lot less than the dremel:
      Hand Drillstock - This is very easy to use and is small handheld drill with a spring system, the drill turns simply by pushing down against the spring with your fingertips (this drill takes drills up to 1mm diameter)
      Traditional Jewellers Bow Drill - This is operated by moving the wooden handle up and down causing the drill bit to rotate. Although this may look a little complicated it is actually very easy to use & has a good, smooth drilling action (it takes drills up to 2mm diameter).

I wasn't sure if by 'kit' you meant a drill like the dremel which can also be used for other things, or an actual jewellery making kit, but often you will find it cheaper to just buy the tools you need for the projects you are making and select them yourself, rather than buying a kit, this way you only buy the things you really need and you can choose the quality of tool that you want...

Best wishes

Hannah
      WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
      Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

I suppose you have to think do you want cheap or quick. If you want cheap go for one traditional tool that will do the job - like Hannah said a bog standard hand held drill. If you know you will be doing the same thing over and over and want a bit of speed - I'd say electrify yourself.
        AnnieAnna

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieAnna View Post
          - I'd say electrify yourself.

lol. Not literally I hope!
          WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
          Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

Thanks

Many thanks for your advice - and I will try and go 'electric' but perhaps not electrify !

Comment

Working...
            X