X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ring mandrel

Can you use a ring sizer as as a mandrel...? Like this -

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-88P
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

ooh glad you asked that I've been meaning too but not got around to it.

I think we can but need to be sure, what will you be using? is it for pmc? my trouble is I dont have a kiln and I think I need one to make a ring with.

sorry for all the questions.
    Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Nah i mean for hammering silver wire/sheet around it Im just not sure i can bash at it! But i dont want to have to buy in both a mandrel and a sizer!
      Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Oh right... I think they suggest the sizer to get vetter sales, dont think it comes with it. however, I'm not sure if they are solid or hollow. so bashing it may dent it.

sorry not much help am I?.

Hils
        Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Not really if you are using it to form a ring by traditional methods.
          I tried when I first started but these sizers are very thin and so they tend to flex. A proper mandrel is a solid and weighty, so you can clamp it in a vice or support against the bench. then when you bash it the metal of the ring moves rather than the mandrel.
          www.karenbakerdesign.co.uk
          [email protected]
          Facebook group
          http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...d=376157611479

Comment

Those ring sticks are usually made from aluminium, which would be too soft for hammering on. They're also marked with measurements which would mark your ring. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any alternative to buying both stick and mandrel. You'll also need ring sizers to measure fingers. Sorry!
            Best wishes
            Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

You can buy a steel triblet that you can use for both a sizer and to bash on, although you have to remember that you can transfer the pattern onto the metal if you're not careful. Try cooksons item code 999 823

Comment

I know this is slightly off topic but if you do want ring sizers without the huuuuge price tag then I can recommend the eBay seller CyberDiamonds, they sell them for 99p and delivery is free! I've bought from them a couple of times and all was fine apart from getting a 'buy our rings' marketing letter afterwards.

HTH
                Lorna x
                Lorna x

http://twistedspiral.wordpress.com/ - I've finally ventured into the world of blogging!

Comment

You will need a mandrel as well, the mandrel is made of steel and will not dent or be damaged from repeated hammering on it, whereas the ring sizer stick is aluminium, which is much softer and is not meant to withstand being bashed with a hammer! Better to buy the correct tool for the job rather than having to buy a new ring sizer when the other one gets damaged...

Hannah
                  WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
                  Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

If you have an old bike lying around you can actually make a mandrel from the down part of the frame (where it tapers). I'd like to take credit for this cost saving idea but I actually saw it when i did a silver jewellery course at Burton Manor; the tutor, Steve, had made half a dozen or so mandrels of differing sizes from an old bike frame.

Caroline
                    silver jewellery at The Silver Jewellery Workshop
                    bespoke handmade jewellery
                    Silver Jewellery blog
                    Handmade Jewellery Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X