Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which metal to use with Antique Brass

Hi,

I have just ordered some Antique brass chain and findings. I havent used it before. I really want to add some charms to the bracelet i am making but i am struggling to find any in Antique brass. I can easily get Antique Gold and Silver and also copper. I have seen brass ones but they are too bright and i have no idea how to antique them.
    Which metal do you think would be a good match to go with Antique brass?

Thank you in Advance
    Pinkdawn

www.pinkdawn.etsy.com

www.pinkdawnjewelry.blogspot.com

www.twitter.com/pinkdawnjewelry

www.flickr.com/pinkdawnjewelry

Have you seen what Gloria's selling? www.dichro-findings.co.uk

AnnieAnna

Comment

Have you tried Vintaj brass or is this too dark?
      Kym
      I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com
      kymbigwood.blogspot.com

Comment

I bought Vintaj stuff off Gloria and she sent me something else that was brighter. I was after bright. I have discovered you can polish the Vintaj stuff and it looks beautiful. Much better than the bright brass (that looks flat) and much better than it's original finish (dull). And you can get charms - beacause I bought a little key off her.
        AnnieAnna

Comment

Perfect for me!

Originally posted by AnnieAnna View Post
          Have you seen what Gloria's selling? www.dichro-findings.co.uk

AnnieAnna
          OOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thay're fab!!
          Ivory Bird Jewellery Blog
          Facebook Page
          Vintage Emporium Shop

Comment

I think jillybeads have a couple of antique brass charms, hearts,stars.
            https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Antique brass/bronze

You could have a look for 'antique bronze', it should be a bit brighter than Vintaj and not as bright as the brass. It's what I use in general and you'll find lots of findings on places like etsy and ebay etc..............
              Hope this helps
              Marie x
              Ivory Bird Jewellery Blog
              Facebook Page
              Vintage Emporium Shop

Comment

I bought Vintaj stuff off Gloria and she sent me something else that was brighter. I was after bright. I have discovered you can polish the Vintaj stuff and it looks beautiful. Much better than the bright brass (that looks flat) and much better than it's original finish (dull). And you can get charms - beacause I bought a little key off her.
                AnnieAnna
                Thanks hon . . do appreciate it. We're carrying a range of vintage jewellery findings and products from Trinity Brass Co on the web site in Antique Gold (the brighter ones I sent you), Antique Silver and their darker antique brass colour called Vintage Patina. Many of the designs are the same as Vintaj Natural Brass, a small range of which we also stock . . but the Trinity Brass Co findings are cheaper than the Vintaj ones . The Vintage Patina is comparable to the Vintaj Natrual Brass colourway. We're expanding the range all the time . . and re-stocking the popular products too.

To my eye, some of the detailing in the filigree's and findings is lost in the darker antique brass colour . . I prefer to work with the Antique Gold and Antique Silver colours . . and both are perfect for using with this years Autumn and Winter colours

Here a couple of examples . . the first using the Antique Gold Colour . .

the second using the Antique Silver colour . .

and the third using the Vintage Brass Colour . .

Gloria

www.dichro-findings.co.uk
                Etsy Shop
                Artfire Shop
                dichro-findings blog

Comment

Hi Gloria - I'm coming back for more....when I get my act together.....need time to think....mustn't sqander my pennies .....but so much is so tempting.
                  AnnieAnna

Comment

vintage brass...ageing it

Hi, dunno if this works for brass but it certainly does for silver you might want to age.
                    First boil an egg, seriously. hard boiled. cut in half and place in an airtight container...saucepan with lid does fine. place the item in the pan base making sure the metal does not touch the egg, I aged a bright silver ball chain which was too new looking..... leave for a while. I was told overnight but 2 hours later my chain was almost black, then I took a long term silver polish cloth and buffed up the balls and I was left with a darker 'core' of the chain...perfect for this old pendant I wanted to match. Am sure it will work with brass or copper, if not waste not, want not......

....take one boiled egg, sliced bread, mayonnaise, season to taste................I jest..!!
                    Jan Miller!

Comment

Hi Gloria - I'm coming back for more....when I get my act together.....need time to think....mustn't sqander my pennies .....but so much is so tempting.
                      AnnieAnna
                      LoL . . be tempted hon . be tempted!
                      Gloria

www.dichro-findings.co.uk
                      Etsy Shop
                      Artfire Shop
                      dichro-findings blog

Comment

I haven't tried this with charms, only with brass wire, but the egg method Jan suggested does work. It doesn't work unless I give the wire a rub wih a scourer first (I think it must have a very light protective coating on it which I have to remove). Then leave for a couple of hours in a sealed plastic bag with an egg and the bright brass colour darkens but still stays quite shiny. I think it looks fine along with my antique gold, antique brass and antique bronze findings.

Comment

try pewter, sometimes the two tone effect is stunning

Comment

Working...
                          X