Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precision Soldering with Minimal Heat transfer

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows how to solder a joint on a pendant very quickly, I want to solder a small piece of tubing on the back of a pendant but must keep the heat transferred to the pendant at a minimum. This is because the pendant has a fine layer of gold foil fused to it and any heat transferred to it will diminish the gold into the silver.

Looking around the only option seems to be some form of welding but this seems quite expensive, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.
    Jewellery Shops and Info - Lustre Jewellery
    Jewellery Buying Guide - Jewellery Buying Tips
    Gold Fusion - Handcrafted Jewellery

Hi,

I'm not an expert on gold foil, but I know a couple of things which might help. Obviously laser welding, as you say, would be one of the only ways to do it without heating the whole pieve up - I think you can book a slot to use one in certain places if you know how but I'm not sure.

But if you're soldering the normal way:

You can get heat-resistant paste/gel which you can layer onto your work to help reduce transfer of heat, but this doesn't eliminate it. I guess if you're soldering onto the back then the front will automatically have to heat up too...

Make sure you use easy/extra easy solder!

If you're just soldering along one edge, you can cover most of the pendant with another soldering block perhaps, to stop the flame reaching it, which may help slightly. Or you can dip the opposite end in water. I saw someone repairing a ring with a stone in once, and he wrapped the stone in tissue, filled a recess of a doming block with water (the solid steel kept the water cooler) and placed the tissue part in the water, with the opposite side of the broken ring band sticking up above the water. He then soldered this and the stone was still ok. But if you do that with a pendant you might not be able to get the temperature high enough for soldering if the water's cooling it down...bit of a vicious circle I suppose...

And another method - I know Tipp-ex really helps to stop previous solder joins melting if you're adding things onto a piece, so it may help (it doesn't stop the heat, but somehow it stops the solder flowing so it MIGHT stop the foil from fusing into the silver) but PLEASE don't take my word for it as I've never used foil, it's just an idea!

Sorry that's a bit waffley, and it's all very much guesswork because as I said, I've not used gold foil. So wait for a second opinion from some lovely knowledgeable person before going ahead I think!!
    But maybe it'll help in future anyway
    Emily
    Emily Richard Jewellery
    www.ejr-jewellery.co.uk

Emily Richard Jewellery on Facebook

Now on Twitter! @EmilyRichard
    Jewellery Making Blog

Comment

Very Helpful

Some great tips! I might have to experiment on a few things with some of the techniques you have mentioned, because I wouldn't have thought about placing the piece into water before! but why not if it gets the job done its worth trying.

Thanks!
      Jewellery Shops and Info - Lustre Jewellery
      Jewellery Buying Guide - Jewellery Buying Tips
      Gold Fusion - Handcrafted Jewellery

Comment

Im not sure if thisl help or if Im explaining it right but when I solder I heat the solder up on the soldering iron, then place that on the item Im soldering for a minimum time while I place the thing Im attaching into the melted solder.
        ie I attach jump rings to copper foil.The copper foil has solder on it already, then liquid/hot solder on soldering iron, use pliers to position jump ring in place then dab the liquid/hot solder onto the right area.The iron is only near the items for about 3 seconds when joining.

No idea if that helped but thought Id pass it on.
        https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Working...
        X