Workshop ideas please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workshop ideas please!

Hi my brother in laws girlfriend has a garden nursery and gift shop they also make their own cider yum yum! well anyway sorry got little sidetracked thinking of the cider!
    I made her a necklace for christmas well they liked it and now stock some of my jewellery, sterling silver & swarovski crystals they like the leaf pendants- the thing is they are having an open day in October and have asked me to go along and demonstrate how I make my jewellery etc, well I would also like to take some different jewellery along! how or what should I take, ie earrings, necklaces ,bracelets sets etc- sorry no photos yet hopefully put some on soon! thanks in advance for your advise.
    Nicola
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nixs-j...t/128916745585
    Handmade sterling silver & swarovski jewellery.
    Scrapbooks/memory, Parties, recruits, workshops, craft fairs

Hi Nicola. I think you should demonstrate what you're comfortable with making. Just practice a few different things between now and then.
    Best wishes
    Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Carole, the only other tiny problem well a couple actually, I have a stammer when nervous & I suffer from anxiety & panic attacks and dont really want to make a fool of myself lol! what if somebody asks me a question will Im working etc.
      Nicola

Comment

Be Prepared

Take sets of jewellery, so a necklace/pendant and matching earrings. Also take various colour ranges as everyone likes different colours.

Practice a routine several times leading up to the event, so when you actually go it won't be so much of an ordeal (give yourself several tasks to perform)

Ask a few friends or family members to watch your routine and ask them the sort of questions they would want to ask you, so you know what people might want to ask on the day and you would already have a prepared a good answer!

It's like anything else in life, practice - practice and practice until it becomes second nature!
        Jewellery Shops and Info - Lustre Jewellery
        Jewellery Buying Guide - Jewellery Buying Tips
        Gold Fusion - Handcrafted Jewellery

Comment

Can you take a close friend or family member with you to act as Presenter or Front Person and answer all the questions, someone you are very comfortable with. Once you feel 'Safe' you may gain confidence. I know how dreadful it is to feel embarrassed even though common sense tells you you have no need to be. I hope it all goes well for you.
          Last edited by Critchley; 24-07-2009, 10:15 PM.
          Carol
          God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Hi Nicola,
            How about bracelets, they always seem to out sell everything else. As to the stammer and nerves could you dress up? Wear a suit, a protective smock or some such that is out of character and create a persona to go with the outfit. My 15 year old son is very shy, fearful of making a fool of himself even when in safe company but he gets on stage with his band and rocks if dressed in his stage outfit. Initially this did include Kiss type make-up but now it can be anything as long as we call it his stage outfit.
            Above all enjoy it, it is different showing off a talent than just taking the limelight.

Di.

Comment

thanks

Thanks so much all you comments are great, i used to sell a*n s*mmers so should be able to make jewellery in front of people lol. I am looking forward to it. You guys are great thanks again, x
              Nicola

Comment

the people you are going to be talking to dont know that you can be a bit nervous so pretent your not , be someone else cos they wont know the difference,you might even have a bit of a laugh

Comment

When I've done demonstrating, people mostly just gaze on you in awe - for hours......
                  If they do ask a question it'll be about what they are looking at and the answer will be so obvious to you I don't think you'll need to think about it.

The bit you might find awkward is blocking them off. I can go butter fingerish if anyone is looking over my shoulder. So you need a tactic for that. Focus intently on what you are doing? Practise laughing off mistakes? Actually dropping things on the floor is a great way to make new friends .

I assume you've tried all the therapies/advice for dealing with panic attacks? Live in the moment (that's usually none threatening), deep breathing (that usually only makes me dizzy ), remove yourself from the situation - go to the loo or have a cup of buy the space off me.tea (and a cake ).

The more you do something that gives you positive feedback, the more at ease you'll be with doing it. So always look at what is going right and play that over and over in your mind so the wrong things can't get a thought in edgeways.

Play the what if game? Imagine you are sitting there and noone stops to look. What should you think? Think wow I haven't wasted my time, I got loads of work done. What if people talk none stop to you? Think wow my work must be good to generate all this interest. No one buys anything? Wow I've been advertising foe 3 hours, how fab. (Actually that's out of my comfort zone. I'd be crying my eyes out in the toilets ). You sell the lot - think wow I'm rich...ahh you know that fair I'm supposed to be doing tomorrow? I'll let someone off the Craft Forum buy the table off me.

Have fun
                  AnnieAnna

Comment

I have a stammer The bane (bain..? Iv only just got up so spelling might not be great lol) of my life! Its one reason iv not really looked into jewellery parties, that and im not too sure about them.

Its all about confidence really. I didnt think i would be able to hold down a job because of my stammer, yet i worked in an office and am now working as a receptionist in a vets! Lots of phone work.

With demonstrating I doubt there will be too much talk unless people ask questions and usually im to afraid to ask questions as the demonstrator looks like they are concentrating so much and i dont want to disturb them. If they do ask things just be friendly and open and calm and if you stammer, who cares. The fact you are there in front of everyone is enough for them to see you as the expert, so will not care if you stammer.

Good luck!
                    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

I get the feeling stammerers worry too much about their stammer.
                      I can see that in a group where everyone is yacking ten to the dozen it could be hard to get a word in edgeways but in conversation with an individual surely the individual will happily be patient and give you lots of time to spit the words out. I know people can be horrible - I have a stammering friend who was constantly told he was stupid at school - he isn't - he's amazingly lovely - but the nice people MUST outnumber the horrible ones.
                      AnnieAnna

Comment

As i get older i find it gets easier. I now know its not me with the problem, but the people are rude that have the problem. So i just get on with it and if anyone says anything i dont like i either walk away or ask them to explain themselves. It hadnt happened to me in a long while, but a few weeks ago a friend of my flat mate was chatting to me and i stammered and he mimicked me and laughed, thinking i had just stammered then, rather than having an actual stammer. I said to him politly that i actually have a stammer and i would rather he didnt make fun of it. He got embarressed and apologised

When you have a bad stammer, it really can rule your life. Every situation is scrutinised as to whether you will need to talk to people or not. But, its all about confidence.

Its easy to say stammerers worry too much. Its not you that wakes up everyday not being able to say what they want. Even to friends and family, if you are having a discussion that gets heated i sometimes find i cant say what i want as i get passionate about something so the words come tumbling out and i get stuck Its frustrating.
                        Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Working...
                        X