postage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• postage question

Im sorry if this has been asked a thousand times before but I did a search and couldnt find it! What sort of postage do you all use -do you pay for postal insurance, or use special delivery, and do you incorporate it into the price?
    www.beadsformamas.co.uk

Unfortunately, Royal Mail insurance, (that you get with ordinary stamps, so long as you get proof of postage from the post office) doesn't cover jewellery. No idea why...it isn't necessarily more valuable than anything else, but I guess it's the powers that be at work.

Special Delivery is expensive, so it's not really an option unless you're selling high price goods, and can absorb it in your costings. Recorded Delivery doesn't offer any extra insurance above an ordinary stamp, but I sometimes use it, in the hope that there's less chance of it getting lost.

I've found, though, that very few parcels go missing. Annoying when it does happen, but it isn't often.

Hope that helps.
    Celia
    I can't be creative and tidy too
    www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
    The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
    Jencel on Facebook

Comment

I agree with the above. You just have to factor in that a small percentage of goods will go missing. If you really need insurance then Special Delivery is the only real option.
      Allison
      www.cardtoppers4crafts.com
      www.epbeads.co.uk/freeguide

Comment

Agree with the above posts but just to add hat some people like to use Recorded delivery to stop people from claiming they haven't received an item (when there is a record to say they have!) but unless you think this is going to be an issue then the extra 70 odd pence might not be worth it. Or as has been said you could use it selectively.

Inevitably some parcels do go missing but it is a very small percentage of the millions of items sent every day so unless you send a lot of mail I would hope you'd very rarely encounter this.

I'd always get a 'proof of posting' receipt because even though you can't claim for jewellery, Royal Mail tend to give 12x1st Class stamps as compensation as a goodwill gesture anyway if memory serves.

Lastly, if your parcel does go missing please don't blame the Post Office as it is not their fault, it is Royal Mail's! And if you are nice and friendly to your PO people they will do their best to help you make sending your mail easier (and if they don't use another Post Office!).

Another long post whoops! Am feeling talkative today (and yes I did work for the PO once upon a time...)

Lorna x
        Lorna x

http://twistedspiral.wordpress.com/ - I've finally ventured into the world of blogging!

Comment

I recently had bad luck where an item delivered to me was delivered to the wrong address and signed for-as the guy was hoping it may be worth something! It was valuable but not obviously so, and so he threw it away, although I got the standard insurance it did not cover the cost of the item. I would be worried about posting jewellery if no insurance, what does everyone else do? At what price good is it worth going for special delivery?
          www.beadsformamas.co.uk

Comment

I have found that second class is as fast as first class so tend to send everything second class. Although I do use recorded delivery I have found that on more than 3 occasions the items have been posted through the letterbox without a signature being obtained and that the online tracking service doesnt work.

I sent something recorded delivery (to a forum member) on 25th June. I am assuming they received it as they have not told me either way, but the online tracking service says that it has been received at the post office where I sent it and nothing else!

oh and as for incorporating into the price, I'm not sure what you mean, but personally I give the price of the item then tell the customer the P&P price which will be for the second class postage rate, plus recorded delivery and something towards my packaging, my time to do the packaging and my taking it to the post office.
            Last edited by Moonbeam Angel; 19-07-2009, 11:58 PM.
            Diane
            Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Recorded delivery items are not tracked until they are delivered. So all it is is a proof of delivery, if the items get there at all, which is some cases they do not. And of course sometimes they are delivered to the wrong address and are signed for in error. And sometimes, when someone is not at home, the postal service do not card people and the item is not delivered at all.

I sent several DVDs to a board member of the craft and hobby association at her request. She lives here in the Uk, and even though I sent them recoreded, they never arrived. I sent them in march and the royal mail web site still says they are waiting to be delivered (last time I looked.)

If you are really concerned special delivery is you best option. Perhaps you could raise your prices to cover the cost.
              Allison
              www.cardtoppers4crafts.com
              www.epbeads.co.uk/freeguide

Comment

i didnt know that about proof of postage I always use that mind thankfully nothing gone missing yet

Comment

There really aren't many more options!

It does depend on how well you get on and how many things go missing; from my experience, having lived in a few places in the UK, this can vary depending on your local sorting office (and/or the sorting offices stuff has to go through) - some are better than others!

If something is extra-valuable, or a bespoke commission, it may be worth using special delivery. If you find that you lose a lot of items in the post, you may be able to take out separate insurance, I suppose? Have never really looked into that.

You could also offer customers a choice - e.g. courier, royal mail 1st class, special delivery - with a disclaimer stating that you cannot be held responsible for goods lost in the post if uninsured?
                  --Matt

Web Development
                  Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

Originally posted by matt.chatterley View Post
                    You could also offer customers a choice - e.g. courier, royal mail 1st class, special delivery - with a disclaimer stating that you cannot be held responsible for goods lost in the post if uninsured?
                    Thats what I was about to say!

Give options, explain where jewellery is covered and where its not, and that your obligations end when you've posted it, you just need to show you have posted it, then it becomes the customers problem.
                    Please visit my website - forum members discount details on offers thread!
                    http://www.silverjewellerydesigns.com/

Comment

with a disclaimer stating that you cannot be held responsible for goods lost in the post if uninsured?
                      Unfortunately, you can't do that. It's the Distance Selling Regulations, which say that the seller is responsible for items reaching the purchaser. So it's down to the seller to replace/refund an item that doesn't arrive, and to make the claim through Royal Mail.
                      Celia
                      I can't be creative and tidy too
                      www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
                      The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
                      Jencel on Facebook

Comment

Yup. I was going to say that if something goes missing I send a replacement just to keep the customer happy.

I've been posting packets and parcels every week day for 12 years and only clocked up 3 lost in the posts.
                        I have been warned not to send to one town as they had a really bad record - I sent stuff to the customer's mum instead - where would we be without mums?

When I've complained about the missing items, I got a lovely response the first time (10 years ago), and absolutely horrible upsetting letter the second (but I got compensation ha ha) (3 years ago) and the third is still in the pipeline.
                        I'm a bit peeved that they refund the cost of the goods but not the postage. I don't get that as that the bit you've paid for and they've let you down .

Things that trip me up at the moment are - them closing my local post office so it takes 45 minutes to post stuff instead of the 10 minutes incorporated with a mini shopping trip that it used to be.
                        Me forgetting that when I post expensive items I need to pay extra to up the insurance/compensation and I haven't added it to the bill.

I thought of incorporating p&p in my prices but working out what the average percentage of the landscape of my postal costs - envelope or box, plastic bag or bubblewrap, paper, ink and time invoicing, stamp, time wrapping (plus selotape?) and going and coming back to the post box (close) or the post office (a marathon)........is doing my head in.

Which is why I don't do the shopping trolly method of shopping but talk to each customer individually.

AnnieAnna

Comment

Hi thanks everyone for your advice! My stuffs not hugely valuable so guess will go with normal recorded delivery. I have read somewhere that less stuff goes missing using recorded-but from what you all say thats not true! Will just have to see!
                          www.beadsformamas.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by jencel View Post
                            Unfortunately, you can't do that. It's the Distance Selling Regulations, which say that the seller is responsible for items reaching the purchaser. So it's down to the seller to replace/refund an item that doesn't arrive, and to make the claim through Royal Mail.
                            This is one of those beautifully grey bits of legislation.

Basically you are right, and the DSRs do preclude you from pushing the risk involved in carriage onto the customer (whether that is a financial risk or one of assumed value).

However, the argument can be (validly, in my eyes) made that by offering the consumer the ability to "upgrade" their carriage option to an insured/guaranteed one, you are providing them with the means to obtains swifter, "certain" delivery.

This is why on most of the 'big name' sites, it is labelled differently e.g. "Express" delivery, "Pro" delivery, or similar - it's never referred to as "insured" delivery, even though thats generally what it is.

Also - note that because of the requirement for merchants to absorb the costs of postage (including return goods), and to refund the full P&P charge in the event of a 'bail out' in a contract of sale, most "biggish" merchants charge more than the actual time/money costs of postage - allowing them to absorb the transactions which go wrong!

Please don't interpret the above as "Ignore the DSRs" - what I'm really saying is - work around them, while staying within the law - to achieve the best results for your customers, and yourself!
                            --Matt

Web Development
                            Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

Working...
                            X